Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Lou In the Great Outdoors

L

Louie'sDad

First, let me show you the apparatus that I sometimes use, which allows Louie to roam freely while making him forget that he's tethered. This truly encourages his wild instincts, and I can sit and watch the show from a folding lawn chair while sucking down a few brewskies. I vary the lead length, and have let him go as far as about 150 feet away from me. I'm usually much closer, and often walk along with him while giving him about 15 feet in addition to the leash length. I can set the drag, just like while fishing, and control him with the drag. I can gently "reel him in" at any time. Once the leash gets in front of him, when I retrieve it, he chases it while it's dragging along and so he's practically running towards me on any retrieve.

IMG_0001.JPG

that's fifty pound test on a Penn Squidder

IMG_0005.JPG

figure-of-eight full slip harness with microchip tracking tag attached

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Paige
Staff member
First, let me show you the apparatus that I sometimes use, which allows Louie to roam freely while making him forget that he's tethered. This truly encourages his wild instincts, and I can sit and watch the show from a folding lawn chair while sucking down a few brewskies. I vary the lead length, and have let him go as far as about 150 feet away from me. I'm usually much closer, and often walk along with him while giving him about 15 feet in addition to the leash length. I can set the drag, just like while fishing, and control him with the drag. I can gently "reel him in" at any time. Once the leash gets in front of him, when I retrieve it, he chases it while it's dragging along and so he's practically running towards me on any retrieve.

View attachment 10294

that's fifty pound test on a Penn Squidder

View attachment 10295

figure-of-eight full slip harness with microchip tracking tag attached
Joe, that is AWESOME! how did you make the "fishing rod" aspect? And what kind of harness with tracking tag is that? Very, very cool!

L

Louie'sDad

Joe, that is AWESOME! how did you make the "fishing rod" aspect? And what kind of harness with tracking tag is that? Very, very cool!
Hi Paige,

That's the actual butt end of one of my fishing rods. On most larger saltwater rods, the butt end (shown) separates from the forward section. The tag is from PetLink (DATAMARS) whose chip is implanted in Louie's neck. Here's a link to the harness, although I bought mine in a local pet supply store:

http://www.gotpetsupplies.com/produ...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CJessPOFt7oCFVTNOgodwmYAaA

PS: I lost my notifications again. I didn't realize anybody responded to this, so thought I would check the thread. Was surprised to see 2 responses.

L

Louie'sDad

That's pretty clever, does he ever get tangled in it?
Hi Patti,

At first, he sometimes got the leash underneath him and wrapped around one of his legs. I notice that this doesn't happen any more, so I can only speculate that he has adapted, and learned to "high step" the leash out from when it gets near his legs. I notice him doing this sometimes, so I believe that he's found his own solution.

As far as getting wrapped around objects, the "open space" is very large, maybe 2.5 hilly acres of manicured grass with widely scattered trees. If there's a possibility of him getting on the wrong side of a tree, I follow the line around to prevent fouling. This happens rarely, however.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi Paige,

That's the actual butt end of one of my fishing rods. On most larger saltwater rods, the butt end (shown) separates from the forward section. The tag is from PetLink (DATAMARS) whose chip is implanted in Louie's neck. Here's a link to the harness, although I bought mine in a local pet supply store:

http://www.gotpetsupplies.com/produ...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CJessPOFt7oCFVTNOgodwmYAaA

PS: I lost my notifications again. I didn't realize anybody responded to this, so thought I would check the thread. Was surprised to see 2 responses.
Joe, I have many saltwater fishing rods, so may give this a try...it is really awesome!!!

yes, I noticed you are back on the spam list again...as is John and a few others...I am not sure why, but have forwarded to my hosting provider.