Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Loud noises.

K

KIM

Our house is a very quiet one. My son is an adult, and there is my hubby and myself. But I find my kitten is petrified when he hears the washing machine. The front loader only gets loud on the spin cycle. Is there anything I can do to ease his fear?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I think he will calm down as he becomes more comfortable in the new home with the new people. Mine started being very fearful of the vacuum. But they are now ready to attack the "creature" and save daddy from being eaten up by it.
He is probably afraid of just about everything right now.

K

KIM

Thats what Im thinking. I feel sort of helpless. This little boy seems scared and he has been this way since we brought him home. I am doing everything I need to do to help him and Im very calm and loving and I wish I knew what else I could do to help him.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Maybe it is a matter of running your washing machine cycle after cycle to desensitize him to the noise? Or record the noise and play it over and over...it's a noise he has to get accustomed to, you can't NOT use the washing machine! As Cary says, it's just going to take time...

Maybe if you think the quietness of the house leads him to be more disturbed by sudden noises, try putting the radio or tv on even if you aren't listening/watching. Sometimes having ambient noise calms animals down..

Carykd7kau

Kim. Just be YOU. I don't know you, but from what I have read, I like you. You CARE! So many people do not REALLY care. Your fur kid will sense that too.

K

KIM

I Know the washing machine is not something we can avoid, so Im hoping he will get used to it, It could be that he just still a little nervous. Cary, thank you for saying that. I care so much. I lost my bengal Jan 9, he was diagnosed with lymphoma just a few days before that, they said he had about two weeks to live, we put him down. He was such a high energy cat, talkative, smart, gorgeous, and he was only 7. He was my love bug, and it completely broke my heart. So i have so much love to give this little guy. I love him so much and i just want to see him happy and running around and playing!

Carykd7kau

Kim, I know the feeling. I lost my 2 DSH kitties in late 2013 and early 2014. My first Savannah, Kilifi came home in Jan 2014 just before I lost my last DSH, Merlin. When Merlin passed, Kilifi was devastated. THey had bonded quickly. I got Azidi and Regie so Kilifi would have playmates and kitty friends.
So, I know the love felt. I adore my Kilifi ....and now Azidi and Regie. ONLY the best of my love for them.
You just be patient and love him. He will bond to you. ;)

K

KIM

I want the adjustment for him. Its not about me, or all the work needed to get him there. I want to see the happiness in him, thats all. I do love him..more than words can say. Im so sorry for your losses...I do feel the pain for you.

Carykd7kau

I'm ok now. I have my 3 fur babies. And they seems to love me. AND, I have no time to turn my back on them. They keep after me to be there.. LOL

K

KIM

They do bring a lot of love dont they. Stark just ate out of my hand and I petted him with my other hand. Even let me kiss him. Now if we could just solve that washing machine issue lol!

Hina

Site Supporter
Don't worry about it, Kim. Just be patient and give your kitten a little time to adjust and get used to the sounds. When we got Sasha, he was scared by everything - the sound of the rains, dishwasher, washer and Ofcourse the vacuum that he hated the most. A month later, he was literally dancing in the rains, opening cracked doors to greet guests, didn't bother about the washer noises. One day I opened the bedroom door to find my husband vacuuming the room and Sasha lying on the bed pretending he didn't care!!!