Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Louie Figured Out How To Get Into My Garage..........

L

Louie'sDad

.......................where my collector cars live! The entry door is in my kitchen, and is equipped with a lever type knob. THIS LEVER KNOB IS VERY HELPFUL WHEN COMING/GOING IN/OUT WITH HANDS FULL.

So, the easy answer would be to replace the lever with a round knob, which would cause me to put packages down before opening the door. Inconvenient, and gives Louie more time to blindside me and run into the garage.

Anybody think of another, better answer?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Just google "child proof lever door handle" and you'll get tons of places to buy locks. They're available at Target, Walmart, Toys R Us….

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
.......................where my collector cars live! The entry door is in my kitchen, and is equipped with a lever type knob. THIS LEVER KNOB IS VERY HELPFUL WHEN COMING/GOING IN/OUT WITH HANDS FULL.

So, the easy answer would be to replace the lever with a round knob, which would cause me to put packages down before opening the door. Inconvenient, and gives Louie more time to blindside me and run into the garage.

Anybody think of another, better answer?

Another option, using the same brand lock, interchange parts to have the lever on the inside of the garage, and a round knob on the inside as to where he should not be able to open it... But knowing Savannah Ingenuity anything is possible.

For Inside: http://www.lowes.com/pd_133329-352-...&currentURL=?Ntt=schlage+door+knob&facetInfo=

For Outside: http://www.lowes.com/pd_110356-352-...=1&currentURL=?Ntt=lever+door+knob&facetInfo=

L

Louie'sDad

I started locking the door, for now, until I decide on a permanent solution. I wonder if I keep it locked for a couple weeks, whether or not the behavior will stop.....permanently. :rolleyes:
I suspect that it will.....until.........the next time he randomly leans on the lever and opens the door whereby the behavior will start all over again.:mad:
Meanwhile, thanks for the ideas.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I started locking the door, for now, until I decide on a permanent solution. I wonder if I keep it locked for a couple weeks, whether or not the behavior will stop.....permanently. :rolleyes:
I suspect that it will.....until.........the next time he randomly leans on the lever and opens the door whereby the behavior will start all over again.:mad:
Meanwhile, thanks for the ideas.

These kitties are pretty smart... She may start it back again in after you start unlocking it.. Also make sure to hide the key.. They smartest cats around you know.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I find that most of the time, if I can distract them from the behavior and deter them from it for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, they will forget that form of entertainment. Of course, as you say there's no guarantee that he won't relearn it 'accidently' the next time he randomly reaches up on the door.

One of mine has learned to open my bedroom door, it is a round knob. He wraps his arms around and uses his weight to pull to the right. We put a blanket in the door to make it more snug. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
One of mine has learned to open my bedroom door, it is a round knob. He wraps his arms around and uses his weight to pull to the right. We put a blanket in the door to make it more snug. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, Smart Kitty... Put a Video Camera on the door to catch him doing it....