Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Low or no cost items that make caring for SVs easier

John Popp

Site Supporter
Just curious if there is that certain something that people have to entertain or care for their Savannahs. I certainly have my list, but I know there are ingenious minds at work out there who have unearthed some great ideas or found that inexpensive product that works wonders.

My apologies if a thread like this exists elsewhere, just always bummed when I buy something at the pet store to later find it doesn't work as well as expected and someone made a better one with duct tape bailing wire and a few twigs.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You can always experiment and see what works for your cat. They generally love boxes though... paper bags... I am leery of things like the rings off bottles and that because of the potential for obstruction. So when using duct tape, make sure it isn't attractive to your cat for chewing on!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Here is what I did and am doing...I had some feather wand toys that the cats love from Petco...they were on a chain and broke within 10 seconds...I returned and exchanged them, but the same thing happened, so I kept the second two, bought some wooden dowels from Home Depot, which I begged them to cut for me (luckily one of the employees was new and an ex-cop, so he just wanted to help) and then I brought the dowels home, drilled a hole in the top, wrapped the feathers with string and duct tape and now have two excellent wand toys...I happen to prefer wooden dowels for wands.

And...I buy the rabbit strips toys from Lori, run a 3mm waxed cord string through the hole I drilled into the dowel, tie it, glue it and they last forever...

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
hahaha, this thread might come in handy. In the past few months that I've been waiting for my two kittens, I think I've bought every 4 and 5 star rated cat product available on amazon. I've been trying to take everyone's advice that they need ALOT of toys. I've bought pretty much everything with out cat nip except a few little things that I will keep around for when I'm there to supervise. In addition I just made my second order from Lori for a few little things. I think everyone can tell how excited I am!! :roflmao::roflmao:

admin

Paige
Staff member
hahaha Daniel...I have every toy there is I think from Amazon and probably could save you from yourself, by telling you what will last and what won't ;)

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
hahaha Daniel...I have every toy there is I think from Amazon and probably could save you from yourself, by telling you what will last and what won't ;)

Lol, from what I've read here, it seems like nothing really lasts lol. Most of the things are priced $15 and under so I figured I'd take my chances and see what they really are attracted to and go from there. I'm a bit disappointed because I just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EYV5J2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

And it seams it has catnip. The description doesn't say that, but it says it on the packaging in the picture. So I guess I'll keep that on the side for now. I bought a wand from Lori though, which I'm sure will hold out, but I like your idea about making a DIY wand with wood from Home Depot that I might try out myself. :up:

admin

Paige
Staff member
The wood wands seem to hold up the best, quite frankly. I got the idea from this toy: http://www.amazon.com/CFA-Seagull-Flying-Wand-Cat/dp/B000LVVGVU which is one of Zuri's favorite toys ever...

The other toys they like are the cat skineez...since Zuri and Cinny are the master fetchers, Cinny especially LOVES these skineez...carries them around, drops them in my lap or on my head while sleeping, etc.

But the all time faves are Lori's llama and rabbit wand toys, so I order from Lori sans the wand and make my own.

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
But the all time faves are Lori's llama and rabbit wand toys, so I order from Lori sans the wand and make my own.

Good to know. I ordered the rabbit wand toys as well as the sheep and rabbit chew toys from Lori, but she's out of the Llama. I'll look into the Skineez and if anything goes wrong with the wand I have, I'll take your advice and make my own.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I also ordered some Kong toys recently...the kong toys that look like skineez...I will let you know how that goes...

jungle boy

Savannah Super Cat
Here is what I did and am doing...I had some feather wand toys that the cats love from Petco...they were on a chain and broke within 10 seconds...I returned and exchanged them, but the same thing happened, so I kept the second two, bought some wooden dowels from Home Depot, which I begged them to cut for me (luckily one of the employees was new and an ex-cop, so he just wanted to help) and then I brought the dowels home, drilled a hole in the top, wrapped the feathers with string and duct tape and now have two excellent wand toys...I happen to prefer wooden dowels for wands.

And...I buy the rabbit strips toys from Lori, run a 3mm waxed cord string through the hole I drilled into the dowel, tie it, glue it and they last forever...

Boy, aren't you the handy one, LOL! I think I'll try that, I am VERY impressed!
;)