Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Me again, creative solution advice sought

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
#1
As most of you know, I am chomping at the bit for another SV because I am now obsessed with this breed and because Nyah needs a kitty friend. Chihuahuas are sort of fun, she says, but they won't join her on her adventures at heights even though she yells at them and calls them wimps. I really, really want an F1, but I just don't see it in the budget cards, so I decided another F2 would be great. Though I got the deal of a lifetime on Nyah, I understood that would never happen again, so I saved up what I have seen as "average" for an f2 kitty. I then contacted a breeder in my state, fell in love with a handsome boy kitten, and BOOM, life punched me in the gut.

Without going into a ton of additional detail as this isn't the woe is me forum, but we are adopting our precious 23 month old baby girl from a mentally ill family member. That process hasn't been easy, and we thought we had jumped the last legal hurdle in December. Low and behold, the family member has filed suit against us right at the bitter end of her time to do so, seeking custody. We have already spent enough money in lawyer fees to have bought a small island, and now are having to go at it again. My SV money has gone into a check and was just mailed to our lawyer. Trust me when I tell you, my human baby girl is way, way more important than another kitten, and I feel selfish for even being sad about not getting a kitten.

So, here comes the part relevant to the forum: I thought a boy kitten would be best to keep drama low with my female f2, that a male would increase the odds of them becoming friends. Now I am thinking I need to be a bit more open minded if I am going to get another SV anytime soon, because the money isn't there right now. I am thinking I need to strongly consider an older cat, and perhaps even consider a retired breeder. Am I just being emotional here and making a rash decision because I don't want to wait? Or should I really consider this path as Nyah is spayed and I would spay the other if it hadn't already been done? I don't want to do anything I will regret or isn't right for Nyah as well as the other cat.
 

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
#2
I'm no expert, just wanted to say how sorry I am about the rough patch you're going through. :( I also guess I could add that introductions can take a long time. If things turn around, and you are awarded a baby anytime soon, you may want to hold off on adding another cat to your household, as that could cause some interruption, or added upheaval to the situation. Just my 2 cents worth...Good luck with everything, and I hope your dreams of a baby and a furbie come true!
 

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
#3
I'm no expert, just wanted to say how sorry I am about the rough patch you're going through. :( I also guess I could add that introductions can take a long time. If things turn around, and you are awarded a baby anytime soon, you may want to hold off on adding another cat to your household, as that could cause some interruption, or added upheaval to the situation. Just my 2 cents worth...Good luck with everything, and I hope your dreams of a baby and a furbie come true!
Thank you. I have the human baby, and have had her since day one. The actual risk of losing her is low,but doesn't stop the lawyers fees, sadly. Don't get me wrong, there is risk and that scares the heck out of me, but it isn't the likely outcome. That said, stress is certainly a factor right now, so it may not be the right time regardless.
 

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
#4
I'm so sorry too, about the situation you are in right now :(

I'd hold off getting another cat until you know for sure what is going to happen and your life is more settled concerning the adoption; you may be in for a rough roller coast ride until then...prayers and hugs to you!
 

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
#5
i think you need to be financial really good before buying the second savannah.
I also want to buy another f2, i got money for it but so much can go wrong.
My vet bill's are huge, themba eats more then all my other cats together.
I already spend 2500 dollar this year only on food, toys and the vet bill.
Themba also would like a buddy but i'm amazed how high these costs can get.

Just wanted to say that, perhaps you got enough aside. I don't know that. :)
 
#6
I think with a pre-established kitten in the household with kids, it would be harder to introduce an older kitty- particularly if we are thinking an older F1/F2.

Not saying it's impossible- but I will say- I had great interest in an adult F1 way back when and after talking to other breeders, I decided my household wasn't up to the challenge at the time. We had little ones, our other cats, and the normal hecticness going on. Anyhoo, even with my experience (and I think I have a bit- LOL)- for an adult F1/F2, everything would have to be perfect for me to bring them into my home. Perfect time, perfect price point, etc.
 
#7
As most of you know, I am chomping at the bit for another SV because I am now obsessed with this breed and because Nyah needs a kitty friend. Chihuahuas are sort of fun, she says, but they won't join her on her adventures at heights even though she yells at them and calls them wimps. I really, really want an F1, but I just don't see it in the budget cards, so I decided another F2 would be great. Though I got the deal of a lifetime on Nyah, I understood that would never happen again, so I saved up what I have seen as "average" for an f2 kitty. I then contacted a breeder in my state, fell in love with a handsome boy kitten, and BOOM, life punched me in the gut.

Without going into a ton of additional detail as this isn't the woe is me forum, but we are adopting our precious 23 month old baby girl from a mentally ill family member. That process hasn't been easy, and we thought we had jumped the last legal hurdle in December. Low and behold, the family member has filed suit against us right at the bitter end of her time to do so, seeking custody. We have already spent enough money in lawyer fees to have bought a small island, and now are having to go at it again. My SV money has gone into a check and was just mailed to our lawyer. Trust me when I tell you, my human baby girl is way, way more important than another kitten, and I feel selfish for even being sad about not getting a kitten.

So, here comes the part relevant to the forum: I thought a boy kitten would be best to keep drama low with my female f2, that a male would increase the odds of them becoming friends. Now I am thinking I need to be a bit more open minded if I am going to get another SV anytime soon, because the money isn't there right now. I am thinking I need to strongly consider an older cat, and perhaps even consider a retired breeder. Am I just being emotional here and making a rash decision because I don't want to wait? Or should I really consider this path as Nyah is spayed and I would spay the other if it hadn't already been done? I don't want to do anything I will regret or isn't right for Nyah as well as the other cat.

Ah, I also wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through all of this. While there is no doubt your little one is worth all the money in the world, it ticks me off to no end that family court is so costly and people are permitted to waste the court's time and your resources :(
 

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
#9
i think you need to be financial really good before buying the second savannah.
I also want to buy another f2, i got money for it but so much can go wrong.
My vet bill's are huge, themba eats more then all my other cats together.
I already spend 2500 dollar this year only on food, toys and the vet bill.
Themba also would like a buddy but i'm amazed how high these costs can get.

Just wanted to say that, perhaps you got enough aside. I don't know that. :)
I totally agree with this, and we wouldn't put ourselves in a place where we couldn't afford vet, food, etc as part of our budget. The money to purchase was over and above our normal amount we put in savings, my husband is a stickler about that! With horses more than anything, you never know what new and inventive way they have come up with to get hurt! Just as he insists we put a specific amount in each month, he equally insists it not be touched except for emergencies, and a new kitten isn't it. But I will start the process again!
 

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
#10
Ah, I also wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through all of this. While there is no doubt your little one is worth all the money in the world, it ticks me off to no end that family court is so costly and people are permitted to waste the court's time and your resources :(
Thank you, and yes, it is a frustrating process all around. This is one of those times you don't pick the cheapest lawyer, right?