Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Measuring a Savannah Cat

wfraser1955

Savannah Super Cat
I've noticed that many members measure their cats as they grow. Are these measurements taken while the cat is standing? Body length, from where to where? Just curious. Oh, and how do you manage to get them to stay still enough to get the measurements...lol

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Guinness World Records measures from paw to shoulder for height and from nose to base of tail for length. I watched the Youtube vid of the worlds longest cat being measured and they held him up and stretched him out.

And I have to raise a :toasting: to the worlds tallest cat, sweet sweet Trouble, may he rest in peace. Miss you terribly.

wfraser1955

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Deborah, I assume that a savannah would be measured in the same manner? I didn't know if there was a standard method to measure or not

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Yep, same method used to measure SVs at least where the world record is involved. When I measure mine, I measure from base of skull to base of tail for length which takes into account only the torso length and not the head. However, I use the same height measurement as Guinness.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I saw a brief clip of Scarlett (the previous tallest Savannah before Trouble) being measured - they laid her down on her side then stretched her leg as far as possible to measure from toe to shoulder. BTW, Stewie (the world's longest cat shown in the clip above) also passed away not too long ago :(