Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Meet Franco

Vito

Site Supporter
Couple of pics of the boys, difficult to get them together at the same time for a good photo, but managed to snap them together in Franco's playpen
(he really doesn't need it now but they love playing in it with the toys) Will try to get better photos of them soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 4

Vito

Site Supporter
Today has been the best day yet, I'm so pleased and cannot begin to say how happy I am.
Vito and Franco have played relentlessly all day, chasing each other, racing around, and playing with their toys. Overjoyed we've reached this stage at last, theirs been no aggression, bearing of teeth or talons extended. Vito is thrilled to have a friend who doesn't want to kill him and Franco seems delighted that he's interacting with no need to fight anymore. It's been a long road not knowing if it would work or not between them, but if only you could see how they are with each other now you would never realize the events that took place before. Thanks to everyone for all the advice, tips and ideas, everything was taken into account and practiced on this journey together. The support you all gave helped tremendously. Thank you all again. We now have two very happy Savannah's and one incredibly happy household :) Hopefully some better photos to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 3

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thank you very much. It really did take a lot of work and have learnt so much during this period, there were times when we really thought that it wasn't going to work, but determination drove us on. Franco certainly had major adjustments to make after being a stud cat and the aggression he displayed was pretty terrifying at times. (the worst I've ever seen actually)
Harmony has been restored thankfully, fingers crossed it'll stay like this.
I think it really great that you have documented this. It is true that once a male cat has been a stud cat there really is that lingering aggression to other males that often means that they will be retired to homes as only pets or with another female cat instead. Your story is a wonderful demonstration on how with time and patience and WORK that you can make it work as you have. Congratulations!

Vito

Site Supporter
I think it really great that you have documented this. It is true that once a male cat has been a stud cat there really is that lingering aggression to other males that often means that they will be retired to homes as only pets or with another female cat instead. Your story is a wonderful demonstration on how with time and patience and WORK that you can make it work as you have. Congratulations!
Thank you very much for your lovely words of support Brigitte, I've tried to document as best I can, all the experiences with Franco, good and bad. In the hope that it may help someone else in the same situation. He came to us an absolute (with no exaggeration) demon to other cats, the aggressive behavior he was displaying was actually quite frightening. It has been a lot of work and of course is ongoing. Things are going well but occasionally Franco likes to assert dominance over Vito, perhaps being a bit overzealous at times , but we are continuing to supervise and work with him and it's so far so good.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thank you very much for your lovely words of support Brigitte, I've tried to document as best I can, all the experiences with Franco, good and bad. In the hope that it may help someone else in the same situation. He came to us an absolute (with no exaggeration) demon to other cats, the aggressive behavior he was displaying was actually quite frightening. It has been a lot of work and of course is ongoing. Things are going well but occasionally Franco likes to assert dominance over Vito, perhaps being a bit overzealous at times , but we are continuing to supervise and work with him and it's so far so good.
I understand the frightening aspect of the aggressive behavior, I've been breeding for 17 years and have seen my share of the behaviors of the intact hormonal stud male cat. I admire your tenacity in working through that!

Vito

Site Supporter
Just another little update, It appears that Vito and Franco have finally become the best of friends, they go everywhere together and are getting into lots of mischief, I think we've set ourselves up for Double trouble :giggle:
It's wonderful to see them bonding so well, the wrestling games and the hide and seek are hilarious to watch. What a difference in Franco, he's like a different cat now that the hormones have diminished , he's become a lovely gentle boy who's loving his cuddles. IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0961.jpg

Last edited:

Vito

Site Supporter
Franco & Vito eagerly waiting on their food , chicken broth their favorite treat.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 8