Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Uti’s

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Any idea how long it will take to dissolve them??? I just want him to be ok.
I use Stella and Chewys with one of my cats. I grind the dry nuggets up in the food processor. Then add warm water and let it sit about 15 minutes and it becomes canned food consistency. I think if you don’t break them up they take longer to absorb but I’m not 100%.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Oh I’m sorry. I meant any idea how long it takes to dissolve crystals??
Oh!! Ha ha, sorry. :)
Every situation will be different with crystals and how each cats body responds. Definitely won’t happen overnight or anything like that. I would think at least several weeks or possibly even months depending on how bad they were to begin with. Using the dL Methionine will help dissolve them faster. And the DMannose will help sooth the bladder and prevent future infections even before the crystals are gone.

Dmj73

Savannah Teenager
Oh!! Ha ha, sorry. :)
Every situation will be different with crystals and how each cats body responds. Definitely won’t happen overnight or anything like that. I would think at least several weeks or possibly even months depending on how bad they were to begin with. Using the dL Methionine will help dissolve them faster. And the DMannose will help sooth the bladder and prevent future infections even before the crystals are gone.
What brand do you suggest and how often should I give him both ?? Thank you

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
What brand do you suggest and how often should I give him both ?? Thank you
The dL Methionine you can ask your vet how much they recommend when you get a script for it. It depends on things like how far off their pH is, what their diet is, and how much they weigh. (I used to see places you could get it without a prescription but don’t see those now) You do need to check the urine pH regularly if you use this. You can get human urine test strips for that much cheaper then the pet specific ones.

The DMannose you can get OTC, I use this one: https://smile.amazon.com/NOW-D-Mann...1557803825&s=gateway&sprefix=d+nannise&sr=8-3

Initially for infection I give one capsule twice a day (or more) as you can’t overdose it. I open the capsule and mix the powder in a small amount of canned food so I know it gets in them. (You can use whatever food or treat they’ll eat best) After infection is over you can give less for a maintenance dose. I’d probably do about half a capsule a day.

Dmj73

Savannah Teenager
I asked my vet about all that and they refuse to even answer it. Said I had to use the Royal Canin SO. Wouldn’t even entertain the idea , told me to stay away from raw food etc. Idk what to do. I’m so sad. I have been watching his urine and he has traces of blood. I had an ultrasound on him which still shows a ton of crystals but no stones. I wish I knew of a different vet to go too. :(