Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Melanistic serval

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Melanistic servals are known to live primarily in the Aberdare mountain range of East Africa and I think pretty scarce. Years ago a fellow breeder and associate and I contacted an exotic import company and asked them to import a melanistic serval for us - they were never able to find one.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
The photographer had an idea that the Mels were adapted for a colder climate higher in the mountains, and the black fur allowed for more heat absorption from the sun. He was surprised the one pictured was in the savannah. No matter... He/she is absolutely beautiful. :)

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Too funny.....if someone had simply shown me the picture and I were to guess what it was, I would not have guess "serval". I am not sure I would have even guessed "cat". I am just so used to seeing the spotted variety.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Too funny.....if someone had simply shown me the picture and I were to guess what it was, I would not have guess "serval". I am not sure I would have even guessed "cat". I am just so used to seeing the spotted variety.
But ya got to admit, He/she is a very pretty Serval.

Jim & Baghira

Savannah Super Cat
Baghira wanted to check out the savannah on his own and put his camo jacket on me and tied me up with his leash behinde that tree. Always a joker that guy is :sneaky:. I figured since he was back in his homeland I´d let it slide ;).
Yeah sure is cool looking tri cool: