Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Merging 2-Adult F1s in same home ;)....WE DID IT!

Cindy Lowther

Savannah Super Cat
Haven't been on here in a while! Been busy with my additional F1 Savannah merging into my home with my existing F1 :) It was a long year but WE DID it horrayyy! Rockstar was rehomed with me about 3 yrs ago and he adapted quite well. Went out on a limb and took another F1 so he would have a play mate, I was prompted when he would sit in the window and chatter to another neighbors cat and showed no aggression and really seemed to hate having the glass between them! The opportunity came for Sultan last April and after much discussion, planning, research & studying we went for it and Yayyyy! It was a long road, with much patience and sometimes going back to square one, keeping Sultan in his own room and making slow introductions and always supervised then 10 mths in...all of a sudden, best of Pals! Rockstar from the beginning would take toys to Sultans room and sit them outside the door, it was amazing! He was anxious for a playmate but Sultan didn't understand his actions and I think his size intimidated him a bit, he would roll into a submissive position which in turn seemed to anger Rockstar and he would then smack him around a bit..hahaaha. I honestly think as his elder he was trying to teach him. Suddenly Rockstar realized if he would drop to the submissive on his back position Sultan would continue to play and wasn't fearful. Its been so interesting watching their interaction and their relationship develop. Neither seems to be Dominant, they take turns ;) but to see them groom each other, cuddle and follow each other around as well as play for hours has been such a rewarding experience. My husband had doubts...we sat in the living room watching the boys wrestle for an hour...and they are so comical! My husband says...WOW, who would have thought it would be like this. Not saying it didn't take lots of patience, having a large space to separate def helped too, but it can be done. I think people sometimes have unrealistic expectations, but its a slow process. Rockstar is around 16yrs old now...and you definitely would never guess and especially now as he plays all the time! His age shows when he jumps and its not as high as Sultan..lol. But he loves to throw his ball and play catch, Sultan isn't quite sure what to do with the ball when its thrown to him, but he will figure it out! They have been such a joy for sure! The attached pic, makes my heart happy! ;)

Attachments

admin

Paige
Staff member
Cindy, glad to see you! Rockstar and Sultan are two handsome boys, that's for sure!

Thank you for sharing your story - I am sure it will help others ;)

Cindy Lowther

Savannah Super Cat
How fortunate you are to have two handsome F1 boys. Sounds as though Rockstar has the perfect temperament that made the merging so successful. More pictures!!!
Oh my I am a photographer,be careful what you wish for..lol. I take pics daily!..lol If its not my good camera its a phone, ipad or ipod anything I can get quickly..lol

Cindy Lowther

Savannah Super Cat
Cindy, glad to see you! Rockstar and Sultan are two handsome boys, that's for sure!

I hope so

I hope so Paige! I hate when people give up to easy and don't let the cats do their things on their own time, if they can remain patient and consistent its so worth it!

Cindy Lowther

Savannah Super Cat
Oh my I am a photographer,be careful what you wish for..lol. I take pics daily!..lol If its not my good camera its a phone, ipad or ipod anything I can get quickly..lol
I know Diane....the other thing is I had many tell me two males would not work...I kept saying it's not as much a sex thing as it is a personality, I did somewhat expect for Rockstar to be more dominant as the existing cat and also being larger., but Sultan is spunky and actually has beefed up since I got him, which wasn't the plan but both my boys seem to be hungry all the time, but they are not overweight, Sultan isn't as lean as he was before but he is also much more active then in his previous home. Their personalities seem to have blended well. They are so comical they have their own beds..but they will switch it up and trade like every other day..lol. They seem to have mutual respect.