Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Micro Chip (at what age)?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I usually have it done on my kittens when they are neutered or spayed, so 12—14 weeks.

There are new nano chips out now and I am going to try those myself. I saw a NICU and Peds ER nurse in another life, so no worries there.

Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't know what the minimum would be... I'm a bit squeamish because the needle to put the microchip in is so big, so I usually wait for their second vet visit at ~12 weeks. I would definitely think it fine though at 8-9 weeks also, but I know I bring my kittens in for two vet visits so choose to only do the first FVRCP at that first visit.

Alicia

Savannah Super Cat
This is such a good question!! I have often wondered myself.... I need to do that to Azize, Sophie was microchipped when she was spayed, but the needle freaks me out! :( makes me feel bad.... But I really should he's plenty big enough now.
Is it a bad thing if they're too big??

cbain

Site Supporter
Both our Savannah's were chipped at around 20 weeks with Home Safe chips that are big and not always detectable by many universal scanners , my Vet showed me this at Metro Animal hospital ,Copley Ohio. When our male kitten came home after he was chipped he had a lump on his side, I have shrapnel and I know what it feels like under the skin, I called the Vet and was told, chip shifted , I got a real Vet and had it removed and replaced , cost $400. My wife used this Vet due to being close to home , my best advice is get a professional DVM that you can trust for the wellbeing of your pet .

Alicia

Savannah Super Cat
Both our Savannah's were chipped at around 20 weeks with Home Safe chips that are big and not always detectable by many universal scanners , my Vet showed me this at Metro Animal hospital ,Copley Ohio. When our male kitten came home after he was chipped he had a lump on his side, I have shrapnel and I know what it feels like under the skin, I called the Vet and was told, chip shifted , I got a real Vet and had it removed and replaced , cost $400. My wife used this Vet due to being close to home , my best advice is get a professional DVM that you can trust for the wellbeing of your pet .
Man that sounds horrible!!!! I'm going to be very careful who I let do it....

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't think there really is an age that a kitten is too young to be microchipped. I have heard of kittens being chipped at 5-6 weeks of age - I don't think I would ever want to do it earlier than that though. It's not unheard of for a chip to move, that happened to one of my cats as well, but it could still be picked up by scanner, and never bothered her.

Bristol Lad

Savannah Super Cat
My kitten isn't micro chipped yet but she will be in the next couple of weeks as she is going in to have her mother parts removed. Vet stated that they would micro chip her for free if getting neutered at the same time. She is less the 20 weeks old.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
My kitten isn't micro chipped yet but she will be in the next couple of weeks as she is going in to have her mother parts removed. Vet stated that they would micro chip her for free if getting neutered at the same time. She is less the 20 weeks old.

Turning on my Smart ??? switch here... But that will really hurt have his mother parts removed and neutered at the same time... Ouch...

Just kidding, know what you mean... Great deal... I will have to check on that, because when I got Jake his was about $90, and then had to pay a $40 registration fee, but that was about 15 years ago. Have not priced these things lately, but price is not the object... I kind of like the idea of doing when they are already under... That way they do not have the stress of that big needle.

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
Because the needle to insert the microchip is so large, my vet actually suggested to wait until I had Havi spayed so they could do it while she was under anesthesia. She has been spayed and chipped now and was almost 6 months at the time.

I don't know if there is any way to give a local anesthetic before inserting the chip. Maybe something to look into. Just the thought of such a large needle freaks me out.

Mary
Owned by Havi