Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mikono Not Eating

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
I am trying really hard not to worry. My 14 month old F3 didn't eat much yesterday and has not eaten at all today. He has drank water and used the litter box, but no food. He has slept a lot today and has lost a couple pounds. He's always been a very lanky cat. Tall and long. He has gone up to his food bowl numerous times and tries to bury the food that he's not eating.

He is scheduled to see the vet tomorrow, but tomorrow seem too far away for me! I'm so worried. I hope that these symptoms are for something minor :-(

-Gina

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Any time I have a cat go off food my first thought is bowel obstruction. Has he been playing with any toys (or anything in the household) that could be broken off or swallowed? String and feathers are notorious for causing problems. My next thought is toxins - anything he could have eaten that he shouldn't have? Plants, bugs that have been exposed to pesticides?

Did he have a bowel movement when he used the litter box or just urinated? Any gagging, vomiting, passing gas? You can run out to the store to get some human baby food (stage one chicken or turkey with NO additives) and a syringe such as is used to give babies medicine, cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with water, and try syringing this to him to see if he tolerates it. If he starts getting worse (more lethargic, less responsive to you) I would consider taking him to an emergency vet tonight.

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
Any time I have a cat go off food my first thought is bowel obstruction. Has he been playing with any toys (or anything in the household) that could be broken off or swallowed? String and feathers are notorious for causing problems. My next thought is toxins - anything he could have eaten that he shouldn't have? Plants, bugs that have been exposed to pesticides?

Did he have a bowel movement when he used the litter box or just urinated? Any gagging, vomiting, passing gas? You can run out to the store to get some human baby food (stage one chicken or turkey with NO additives) and a syringe such as is used to give babies medicine, cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with water, and try syringing this to him to see if he tolerates it. If he starts getting worse (more lethargic, less responsive to you) I would consider taking him to an emergency vet tonight.

No vomiting or gas. When he used the litter box, it was pee. He possibly could have gotten something he shouldn't have. I do cross stitch, so he may have eaten string. I also had some potting plants in the house that I wad going to plant outside. I've seen him try to eat my plants before, and I make sure that the ones that I keep inside are not poisonous. He's also been eating alot of flies and bugs lately. Its that time of year when all the bugs get into the house! He loves to chase the bugs.

He ate some cat nip and drank some water, but that was it for today. I will try the baby food. I'll try anything at this point. Thanks Pat

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
Another thing I've noticed, is that whenever I go to pet him, he slinks. Does that make sense? When I pet his back, his body slinks down towards the floor.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Another thing I've noticed, is that whenever I go to pet him, he slinks. Does that make sense? When I pet his back, his body slinks down towards the floor.
Have you ever had the flu where your entire body aches and your skin tingles and crawls when anyone touches it? That's what I think of when you describe his slinking at your touch.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Gina, as long as he is drinking, I think he can wait until tomorrow...id he was vomiting and had diarrhea, I would not say that...please let us know how he is...

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks everyone! He seems more energetic today, but still not eating. His appointment is at 4p, which brings me to ask another question. Are there any vaccines that I should avoid? Since he's strictly an indoor cat (of course), is it necessary to get ALL vaccines that are suggested?

Paige- For some reason, I'm not able to view anybodys profile??