Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

modified live vaccines????

Question/background: It's my first time taking Alabaster (my F1, 15 month old male SV) in for his FVRCP vaccine and the vet says they use "modified live" vaccines for many of the shots they provide (I think Purevax was the name). They wont order killed virus shots b/c they would have to order an entire box. They *did* find a vet who would sell them one dose of a killed virus, but it is combined with feline leukemia, which is entirely unnecessary...So here's the question:

Should I opt for the single "modified live" shot for distemper...or go for the killed combo (w/ un-needed fel leuk)? Are modified live vaccines, in general, dangerous for savannahs? HELP!!!!!!

Question/background: It's my first time taking Alabaster (my F1, 15 month old male SV) in for his FVRCP vaccine and the vet says they use "modified live" vaccines for many of the shots they provide (I think Purevax was the name). They wont order killed virus shots b/c they would have to order an entire box. They *did* find a vet who would sell them one dose of a killed virus, but it is combined with feline leukemia, which is entirely unnecessary...So here's the question:

Should I opt for the single "modified live" shot for distemper...or go for the killed combo (w/ un-needed fel leuk)? Are modified live vaccines, in general, dangerous for savannahs? HELP!!!!!!
I always use ML vaccines. I used them for years with my F1, Hope and I still use them on my F2 boys. BUT, you will get multiple differing opinions on this issue. It is a huge debate.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
You'll find modified live are used commonly and it's what I've opted for my feline family. I will also state that it is worth checking in with your breeder from a pure contractual rather than medical standpoint. Between self-education, your breeder's recommendation, and the clinic you can hopefully make the best decision.

admin

Paige
Staff member
FeLV is no longer recommended, Althea...as discussed before, ML is what my vet uses...but many vets used killed rabies, however Purevax is considered pretty safe...my cats have been given purevax for years, although I no longer give Taj rabies, since he had a reaction to it...

Thank you for your replies. Many of the savannah people I have asked, including the breeder, are all ok with the "ML" vaccines...but also admit that it is a highly debatable issue...which is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible! Scary stuff what it's your baby's well being at stake!!!!

Thank you for your replies. Many of the savannah people I have asked, including the breeder, are all ok with the "ML" vaccines...but also admit that it is a highly debatable issue...which is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible! Scary stuff what it's your baby's well being at stake!!!!
I use MLV.

I know some swear by killed.

It's a bit stressful, right? :)

Karen

Savannah Adult
I encountered the very same issue with my first F2....NONE of the Vets in my immediate area were willing to obtain Killed, and I called them all. LOL- even crazier was how some of the Office Staff in these numerous Practices that I called had NO CLUE what type of vaccine they administered, nor were they able to tell me the Manufacturer. Ha ha- they would say "I don't know", and I would kindly, say...."well- could you please get up and LOOK"? LOL! Re the "debate" on Killed vs ML, my first SV...an F2 was given ML before she came to me, and she was FINE. I became focused on the concept of "killed" after reading/obsessing over posts on the SV Yahoo Group when I was a new owner. I now own two more F2s....littermates, who are 9 mos. old and they have been fine with ML.....Merial only though, and I will insist on Merial unless things change. I have read too many negative things about "Fort Dodge Brands". Re Rabies, I live in a State that mandates yearly Rabies vaccines for cats...even indoor only cats. All three of my SVs have had the "Merial Purevax Rabies" with zero issues. Per my understanding, this vaccine is NOT killed....it is classified as "recombinant". It is a recombinant DNA vaccine that does not use the rabies virus. It has a canary pox virus spliced with small segments of the rabies virus DNA. It also does not have any adjuvants in it. My personal preference was to wait until my kittens were older before they had their first Rabies vaccine....LOL- I was a bit overdue- but they had it at age 9 months last week and they were fine. I also do not believe in permitting my cats to have multiple vaccines at the same time....but Vets WILL push this. I prefer to give my cats their FVRCP when needed....and to NOT permit them to have their Rabies during the same yearly Vet Check. Unfortunately, this has caused me to have to pay for TWO exams per year at a very anal "VCA Practice"...but the safety of my cats is important. I DID find a potential NEW practice....will ask for opinions on them in a future post.