Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Moods

L

Louie'sDad

Does your cat have mood swings? Does your cat show more energy on some days, bigger appetite? How does your cat's behavior change, if at all, from day to day.

John Popp

Site Supporter
With two SVs now, it's play, feed me, sleep. If one is asleep while the other's awake I get lots of attention and affection.

Prior to that Chongo was always just play, play, play.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Does your cat have mood swings? Does your cat show more energy on some days, bigger appetite? How does your cat's behavior change, if at all, from day to day.
Yes. Every day is different. Now that we're into fall, some days they stay in bed after I get up instead of galloping to the kitchen for breakfast, particularly when the morning is chilly. Their appetites change so often that i decided not to worry about it a long time ago. There are times when they eat their usual and beg for more and then days go by when they hardly eat at all. Days go by when I'm begging them to play for exercise and then there are those days when they're awake nearly all day flying around and wreaking havoc.

Two of them love me all the time; one of them loves me about 3 days a week and ignores me the rest. There are days when they are grumpy with each other and just plain mad at the world and they go off into their own corners and grumble to themselves. Never a dull moment.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Cats definitely have moods. Mine show a good range of moods, fortunately most of the positive. Now that most of the acclimation woes are over with, the three usually get out of bed with me on work days and gather at the bedroom door waiting to see if I will lead them to the kitchen or the shower first. I can tell if they're feeling lazy or grumpy by the time it takes for them to assemble and how much space is between them.

If they're within inches and sitting or standing upright they're ready for anything. If they are further apart then at least one is grumpy. If one or more is laying down then it is lazy time. If they're actively head-butting or rubbing my legs then look-out, they're very hungry or don't want me going to work (especially Yuki, she'll get on my shoulders and try not to let go).

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think their energy levels and appetite vary by the day... weather can impact that too. I like that mostly their moods are on the happier side, the only grumpiness is if one of the others is in an extreme type of annoying mood and they have had enough. I love that mine do not bear grudges, even my princess Zari who is dealing with a LOT of veterinary intervention in the last month or two, she remains in a positive and playful mode... even though she detests one of the chemo meds I have to give her twice a day. She'll struggle to escape it but immediately after be hanging around me asking for food or play...

L

Louie'sDad

I'm happy to hear that cats' behavior varies from day to day. It's important for me, as a first time cat owner, to gather information that I can use to spot a health issue. I can say that, by all indicators, Louie is healthy as a horse (because of the Boreal horse bedding, no doubt:rolleyes:), both physically and mentally.

When I allow him to bed down with me the prior night, the day begins somewhere between 5 and 7 AM, when he rises, begins exploring and stealing things, whereupon I put him out, and go back to sleep. On mornings when he's not in my bedroom the prior night, and on mornings after I put him out, opening the bedroom door finds him waiting for me and then greeting me with rubs, vocal salutations, and if I put my face near his face, then he'll lick my nose. If he's particularly excited, he'll lick and then bite it, occasionally drawing blood:).

If I sit in a certain chair in the living room while having my morning coffee, he sits and waits for me to toss his toys over the upstairs balcony railing so he can go fetch them. He anticipates this by anxiously looking upstairs. Afterwords it's usually some rough play where I cover him with his "rough towel" and then rough him up while he's covered. He always likes to tag me (claws retracted) once he gets free. He likes to play hide and seek, and again, either tags me or stands on his hind legs when I "discover" him. He does the same when he "discovers" me. He also loves me to drag him around while he's got his "rough blanket" in a death grip. He responds same as to a feather toy when I approach him like a toreador with the "rough towel", by jumping and attacking it!

He sleeps a bit more now that he's approaching his 1st BD, but for short periods, and only when I'm in my home office working.

He has grown to love the great outdoors, and on good weather days, the late afternoon always includes lots of outdoor time for him. When we first started this a couple months ago, I had to drag him away from the house, but now, I have to drag him back IN.:) Like a true crepuscular animal, he becomes more fixated on hunting during low-light times.

Last edited by a moderator:

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Joe, Louie sounds wonderful. We both got our cats form the same breeder. Yes, mine are very active and healthy. I think you got your money's worth!

L

Louie'sDad

Joe, Louie sounds wonderful. We both got our cats form the same breeder. Yes, mine are very active and healthy. I think you got your money's worth!

Thanks. I think that we can rest assured that, along with the breeders on this website, our breeder has the right formula for producing some excellent quality cats. I speak to Dale from time to time and he's attentive and responsive to my questions. He told me that Louie's OTHER dad, Thor, is a big serval. The question that will never be answered is how Lou's size measures up to that of his littermates. Maybe I'll go to Russia to find out. As someone here said, his personality makes up for his size.