Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Must I deworm again?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I just finished a three day deworming of my little fur babies with panacur 3 days ago. Still hanging in there for the daily litter box bleaching. Last night I discovered my lil boys have fleas... Crap.
I dog sat my parents dog two weeks ago and they took him back discovered he had fleas (which he didn't have before) and I looked at my boys didn't find any signs of fleas but just in case I treated carpets, washed all linens with vinegar and borax. And gave them a bath with dish soap and apple cider vinegar. Checked them daily for a week and still no signs. Proceeded to deworm them. And continued checked each night. The neighbor turns out had fleas and treated their home 3 days ago. And magically I have fleas as of last night. Will these little bast"@$s give my boys worms again? Should I worm again in 30 days or wait for signs of worms first? I do have extra panacur I have enough for 6 more rounds still.
Also I decided to get the advantage 11 flea treatment since I remember you all recomending it. Have enough for the neighbors cat too. I just treated the area rugs again. And sprayed all couches etc. And washed all linens and curtains again. When should I retreat everything? Also in this time I have yet to get bitten by a flea. Thank goodness because the cats sleep in my bed on and next to me.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Also I felt bad for all the torture I've put them through between getting multiple baths and dewormed. That I decided to treat them to a new toy. They seem to have forgiven me for the time being
a4a81cf55b937385211162f7e28a46fb.jpg

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I believe it is usually recommended to repeat treatment after two weeks.

Repeat the flea treatment or deworming?
Also update on that cute scratching post I surprised them with.... It's broken already lol. I took a nice bubble bath with menthol and Epsom salts And hear a big thud from outside the bathroom... Come investigate in all my bubbly glory and it was broken where the top tier connected. =\ boo not even a week yet. This is why we can't have nice things! Haha I guess the problem was it wasn't nice enough. Must now replace with much sturdier cat tree... Even though this one felt quite sturdy ::sigh::

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I was responding to the deworming, but it probably wouldn't hurt to treat for fleas again as well.
Bummer about the new cat tree - is it fixable?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I don't think so I can usually find a way but at this point I think I can just return it since I only bought it last week and I still have te return the other scratch post I bought that was too small anyways. Knowing how I've been in that store once a week the past month I sure they'll work with me on even a partial credit on it.

And I heard you could only worm once a month. But that was coming from an herbalist. I used panacur for 3 days to also treat for giardia. Perhaps I heard wrong?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I am also treating again for fleas one more time on Wednesday. Just to be safe

Patti

Admin
Staff member
When you first deworm you want to repeat in two weeks to make sure you've gotten everything. The monthly dosing is for maintenance once you've eradicated the worms. To treat giardia you need to give Panacur for five days. I also repeat that after two weeks as well, just to make sure...