Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2 year old is terrified of our new kitten.

vickielynn87

Savannah Super Cat
Hi everyone,

We have had Callie for a week now and we have let the kids (2 and 4) in the room with her to play with her and snuggle with her. Callie, being the kitten that she is, thought my 2 year old's fingers were a toy and went after her and scratched/nipped at her. Now my daughter is terrified of her. She is ok going in the room and sitting on our bed as long as Callie doesn't come on the bed. If she does, my daughter screams bloody murder and asks to leave the room. I'm at a loss at this point, trying to explain to her that Callie is a baby and is still learning doesn't work because she doesn't understand. I'm worried when Callie has free reign of the house, what to do. Anyone have any ideas on how to get my daughter over her new fear?

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
I would say just show her, keep petting Callie and hopefully your daughter were learn by watching what you do?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Is Callie the first cat your 2 year old has interacted with?

I hope some people with more experience will know how to approach this... although I wonder if when Callie is free in the house whether Callie might have more things to explore and hence not be inclined to even come near your daughter...and maybe over time seeing you and your other child with Callie might make her calmer and more curious about being able to interact?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I would say, just be patient with your daughter and try your best to keep her calm around Callie. In time she will come to accept the kitten. She is 2 and very easily scared and also very easily calmed. At least that is how I remember my daughter... a long time ago.

vickielynn87

Savannah Super Cat
Yes she's our first pet so there's some apprehension between my kids and her. My kids have never really been around animals before so they are just scared in general. My 4 year old is a bit better, a little nervous when she's amping and comes near him but he's learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would not try to make your daughter interact with her while she's active and playing - they are both learning their limitations. Perhaps when Callie has crashed and is sleeping take your daughter over to her and encourage her to simply touch her or pet her - or if she can't handle that, just sit next to her and watch her. I think at this point she will just have to learn by example because this existence has colored her world. I have heard of adults with lifelong fear of cats or dogs based on just such an encounter so it will be important to work with your daughter to get over her fears.

Trish Allearz

Well, to be honest-- are YOU nervous about your kitten and her interactions with your daughter?

Because if you are, that's going to rub off on your child too. I'd just keep reassuring your child that the kitten just wanted to play and show her ways to play that does not involve her hands. Show her how much fun a kitten wand is with kittens! Teach her appropriate interaction.

Her reaction is normal and the kitten's reaction is pretty typical although I'd expect at 12-14 weeks that this shouldn't last for long. If it's a much younger kitten, 8-10 weeks, you have a few more weeks to go before the wild baby stage settles down into the calmer baby stage.

vickielynn87

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not nervous, she actually did better today! She only whimpered and did not scream so that's a good sign! Callie is about 13 weeks now. One step at a time :)

Trish Allearz

I'm not nervous, she actually did better today! She only whimpered and did not scream so that's a good sign! Callie is about 13 weeks now. One step at a time :)

Sounds like you are on the right path! And Callie is old enough that you can correct her pretty easily. Show your daughter that if Callie wants to play rough (with nails or teeth) that she can offer Callie a toy like a stuff animal to pounce and play with to avoid getting your child instead :)