Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My cat has asthma

Xenaph

Savannah Super Cat
Hello,
My cat 8 years old has asthma, I’m out of pill, i’m doing to get more this afternoon.

I can’t do give her pump of ventolin because i’m
Not able to catch her, she is afraid of human.

Any advice on this situation ? She do 1 or 2 crisis per day.

Thanks

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
This is definitely concerning as asthma can kill. How do you usually pill your cat if you are unable to catch her? And how do you get her to the vet?

I would consider this an emergency for your cat. She needs to see an emergency vet if she is having a crisis and you do not have medication for her.

Vito

Site Supporter
I agree, she must see an emergency vet as a matter of urgency, asthma can be fatal.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Agree with what has been said here...your cat needs to see a vet asap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenaph

Savannah Super Cat
I can catch her after 20-30 min trying to closed at hiding spot, the vet gave me prednisolone 5mg (1 in morning, 1 at night) for 7 days, after 1 per day and after 1 per 2 days all her life

What do you think ?

Vito

Site Supporter
I can catch her after 20-30 min trying to closed at hiding spot, the vet gave me prednisolone 5mg (1 in morning, 1 at night) for 7 days, after 1 per day and after 1 per 2 days all her life

What do you think ?
Prednisolone is often given to cats with asthma, humans too. Are you putting it in her food as I think trying to give her it orally will cause her more distress. It's an effective steroid medication from my knowledge and experience. I'm glad you got her to the vet, it can be a very worrying time dealing with fine asthma. Have they also given you Ventolin, though this may be very difficult to administer to a nervous cat.
In my experience, not saying this is always the case but nervousness can sometimes trigger asthmatic attacks, so perhaps you should try work on gaining her confidence to enable you to handle her better and make her feel more secure. There is lots of information on this site about dealing with a nervous kitty. I'm sure it will help in this case.
I hope she is more settled now and your also not as anxious. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Xenaph

Savannah Super Cat
The x scan said she was little asthma.

Jasmine was bought at 2 years old, since I got her, I’m a rescue. She is afraid of human, in depression, and love to hide all day in the thé baseman, and at place I can’t reach her.

So when she go out for food or sleep (with us) I give her orally the medication.

Boran

Vito

Site Supporter
It sounds as though jasmine has had a dreadful 6 years before you got her, I'm glad you rescued her, something has obviously happened at her previous home to make her so unsettled. That's good that she sleeps with you and you take this opportunity to medicate her.
I hope things improve with Jasmine and it is not unusual for this to take a bit of time. Patience is the key.