Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My F2 Kitten (5 months) Will Not Eat Dry Food Any Suggestions

My Kitten will not eat straight dry food. We are feeding him Royal Canin Kitten wet. If it is mixed with dry he will eat it but refuses to eat dry food without wet mixed with it.

Any suggestions on a type of dry food that Savannahs like?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Agree with Dantes! Dry food alone is not the best for any cat, so be happy he will not eat it alone...mixing is fine.

Trish Allearz

I have an f2 boy I've raised here who won't touch kibble or canned! He only wants raw, which is okay because that's what his Dad plans on feeding him.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Jarnco5

Savannah Adult
My Kitten will not eat straight dry food. We are feeding him Royal Canin Kitten wet. If it is mixed with dry he will eat it but refuses to eat dry food without wet mixed with it.

Any suggestions on a type of dry food that Savannahs like?

Any reason you want him on dry only... ? Most who want them to eat dry by itself like the convenience when the rest of the family takes short trips. The methods I have found to get them over to dry is to mix more and more dry in at feeding time. Don't over feed them because if they are hungry they are more likely to eat the mix as the dry content is upped. Try finding a good quality dry food the closer to a serval your cat is the more need for a high quality dry food. Not that all cats don't deserve a high quality food ;-)

High quality = more real meat and no grain.

Jarnco5

Savannah Adult
Additionally:

As you transition them over leave a small amount of "fresh" dry out so you can tell if they are eating it between meals of the mixed when they are hungry. I am lucky I have one cat who will eat all dry so I can test flavors on him... see my posting history it may help?

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
In my opinion, feeding any cat straight dry is strictly for the convenience of the owner and not in the best interest of the cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jarnco5

Savannah Adult
Jacq, transitioning a cat over to dry does not mean the person only feeds the cat dry. Even if they did some high quality dry is now as nutritious as any wet and sometimes more. Water can be added to dry and the only logical reason one has against dry is it supplies to little moisture. That can be taken care of in many ways. The original poster wanted to know what "type" dry a cat would like... to that who knows?

I have posted a lot on that topic, finding a high quality dry that is also palatable to the cat.

You want an opinion... your post is not helpful and is to opinionated. My opinion.

Jarnco5

Savannah Adult
Jacq, actually I see your post did not fall far from others in this thread so sorry for singling you out. It does not change the fact that we all need to step back when we have strong opinions and take a deep breath and try not to read to much into things through our own filters. That includes me for not catching the overall tone of this thread before I gave my filtered opinion. By filtered I mean through my own little lens.

I do think though other than my last sentence in the last post I made some valid points.

We are all to quick to judge most the time. My apologies for my little transgression.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Jarnco, many vets agree dry only isn't a good option. No one here has ever called anyone a bad kitty owner for their food choices, but have pointed out pros and cons to both. There are issues with dry only, moisture being one of them. I know you apologized, which is great, but I want to note that many of us have done a lot of research, asked questions and I was lucky enough to find an animal nutritionist to run things by. That in no way makes me an expert on this any more than a stay at a Holiday Inn Express would, but trust me when I tell you there is an incredible wealth of knowledge from very experienced cat owners / breeders / vet on the site who are in that expert category. Out of curiosity, and you certainly don't owe me an answer, but do you work in the animal food industry?