Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My Kitten Dangers Checklist

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
And just as a toddler grows to be more and more clever, knowin how to walk and use those little hands to get into EVERYTHING! A young cat will run a close second to a human child. Just keep that in mind. Cats watch how you open doors and all sorts of other things, THEY ARE WATCHING YOU:)

Savannut

Maddox's Lina :)
Just wanted to chime in that I've had my share of hair elastics go missing and then found them pooped out in my crazy boy's toilet. :/

Really worries me that he has this obsession with eating rubbery things (rubber bands earn exactly the same response).. particularly because we have tenants in the basement who aren't really savvy in the potential harm this could cause and tend to leave rubber bands from veggies, etc. in accessible locations. Nowadays I am always on the lookout for the things and regularly change where I hide my hair elastics because he somehow sniffs them out after a while and gets into make-up bags, cupboards, you name it.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Just wanted to chime in that I've had my share of hair elastics go missing and then found them pooped out in my crazy boy's toilet. :/

Really worries me that he has this obsession with eating rubbery things (rubber bands earn exactly the same response).. particularly because we have tenants in the basement who aren't really savvy in the potential harm this could cause and tend to leave rubber bands from veggies, etc. in accessible locations. Nowadays I am always on the lookout for the things and regularly change where I hide my hair elastics because he somehow sniffs them out after a while and gets into make-up bags, cupboards, you name it.
My F7SBT girl Paris is obsessed with rubber hair bands, to the point of trying to remove them from my hair, and is the reason I wrote this list :) I too, would find the evidence in the litter box or in cat puke.....I also know how dangerous they can be if they do not pass through. It took a real effort on my part to keep my hair bands in a safe location. The only container that can deter my kitty is an old soap tin with a very tight lid that is kept in the back of a drawer. Paris can smell them kept in any other container or loose in a drawer or purse, and has not attempted to open the drawer my soap tin is kept. We never keep rubber bands around now, either.

Perhaps you could provide your tenants with a container or even a lidded jar to put the rubber bands in and/or limit your Savannah's access to their living area? Print out this list and have them read and sign it, and give them a copy? I would also think you, as the landlord, have the right to ban rubber bands, but I am not sure on that unless it is already on the lease contract. Smoking and pets can be banned, after all. Tell the tenants they will be responsible for the surgery bill when one gets wrapped around your cat's tongue or creates a blockage......it won't be cheap...IF your kitty survives :(

Hi Pam,

great list.

Based on what I've read, you might want to move raisins & grapes up to the top with chocolate. Apparently one is enough to kill a cat. Chocolate is usually only a smaller percentage of the ingredients in most candy, but is still dangerous.

Another substance I've read is very dangerous for both cats and dogs is the artificial sweetener Xylotol. You'll find it in chewing gum, sugar-free mints, diet foods, and toothpaste. We've gotten into the habit of washing down the bathroom sink after brushing our teeth as our Savannah likes the smell of the toothpaste and will try and lick the sink when we're done.

Just a few suggestions!

Great list, Pam.

I'd like to add another common household item - Superglue (cyanoacrylate). The containers are toy sized and not very resistant to the kind of treatment they'll likely get.

Identifying hazardous items is essential, but it also would be great to hear what practices SV owners have found to be effective in keeping their cats out of these things. At our place we're in the habit of storing anything suspect in transparent, lock top food containers that will fit in drawers and cabinets. They've proven to be secure and convenient. Habit is the right word - it needs to be a lifestyle change.