Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My little munchkin Stark

K

KIM

So I have been posting for advice. We got our little boy about 10 days ago. He just turned 4 months, and hes a very shy boy and had him in his safe room, but hes been trying to escape lol. Now we go in there so many times a day, sit, talk, play, and kisses when he lets us! Hes coming around but still a little nervous. Well today he escaped. I can see him, hes sitting under the dining room cabinet, lots of space, nothing can hurt him, I have clear view of him. I closed all the bedroom doors and bathroom doors so at least I can see him. I was given the suggestion to get a harness so that he can roam with me at least knowing where he he. I can fix the leash part on something and let him walk and play, and change the areas, where i do that so he can get used to everything. Any advice on that I bought it but its not on him now. its still in the package. Thanks everyone!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
You will first have to catch him to put it on him. Then what you say might work, providing he does not go completely bonkers with the harness on him. If you are able to get it on him, let him wear it for a while before you restrain him with the leash. Let him get used to the harness. He may fight it or he may just fall over like you have killed him. Or it may not bother him at all. No way to tell until you try.

K

KIM

I have no idea what he will do. But if he fights me im not going to push the situation. I bought it, I have it, if I use it, great, if not, its ok. I will certainly not do anything to stress him out. When he escaped he came downstairs and stood in the dining room under the table looking at me. He left after an hour and get behind the couch. I got him out as that worries because its a very heavy sofa with recliners and wires so no chance he was going there. Hes out, and its blocked. I blocked it before but somehow he got in. How hes in the dining room, I am talking to him from a distance and not overwhelming him. I put a couple of toys out. Im not new to the kitten thing but this little man is going to work me good, but he is so worth it, just love him so much!!

John Popp

Site Supporter
I would suggest a carrier in his safe room that he feels comfortable going in and out of. Then you can move him into other rooms inside the carrier so he feels he has a safe zone. Then at his speed he can decide to come out, always having somewhere to retreat to.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
You are doing fine Kim. I know you have kitten experience...draw on that. Use your intuition. Send feelings of love, comfort and safety to him. They sense/hear your thoughts. when you do get him, gently take him back to his safe room and praise him for letting you pick him up.
Good luck. Sending energy your way. :)

K

KIM

Of course. I put his favorite toys out, springs, I ordered them from amazon as I couldnt find them anywhere, hes eying them up lol. He knows hes loved, hes just a little peanut and hes nervous. But I will keep on going because he really does have my heart in the best way!

K

KIM

I just wanted to thank you for all your help. It really helps to know that others have gone through this, and its not just me!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
And make sure that he has a litter box within sight! Chances are he is too excited at being out right now that when he realizes that he needs to pee, he will not find his way back to the room!

K

KIM

I know right!, not sure about how excited he is. Hes sitting still in the same place! I tried to get him to come out nice and sweet and hes just looking at me like..forget it lady lol.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Does your little boy have a name? If so I think I've forgotten it. Have you been able to get him back to his safe room yet? I agree with Rafiki, if he is going to stay out for awhile you might want to put a litterbox out within sight so that he knows he has some place to go if need be. Is he motivated by treats at all? If so, that might help you coax him out. Hopefully by now you've secured him back in his room.

BTW, I would not think about putting a harness on him right now, he has enough stressors to deal with, better to wait until he is settled in and has learned to trust you.