Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My little one

K

KIM

So just an update, its been 3 weeks today since we picked up our little boy. I had to take him to the vet this week. He had a rabies shot, general check up, blood work and did a fecal. I was worried it might set him back because he was still nervous and skittish but other than him feeling off that night from the rabies shot, nothing really changed. Only thing that is changed is that he is gaining more and more access to the house, but interestingly enough hes not roaming. I have closed the bedroom doors and bathroom doors for now, as I dont want him to have more hiding spaces to find as last week he got up into my my box spring and it took us having to take the bed apart to get him out, we were worried he was going to hurt himself. So for now the bedrooms are off limits.
So the rest of the house he can roam, but he comes down and sits on my dining room chairs, he doesnt try and explore. I try and go and pet him but hes still standoffish. So anymore advice.? Also do I put im back in the safe room at night or just leave him be..not sure about what the right thing is to do. thanks

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
It just takes time and patience, Kim. Not sure if the safe room is required, but you may leave the door open so he can go in IF he wants. Kind of an escape for him if he feels like he needs it. If you shut him in, then you should be in there with him so the bonding can continue. Be with him as much as you can, so he gets to know you.

K

KIM

When he was starting out in the safe room, we were always in there trying to engage with him. Now hes in the dining room on the chair and I go and talk to him, and we try and engage with play. We have discovered the toys he cant resist. Im hoping that this is just a next step in him acclimating. Because when we first starting giving him more space, he would run down and hide under the dining cabinet, I could see him, but he would crouch up again the wall under there and not move. Or try and run behind the couch. Now he just comes down and sits on the chairs, not sure if he thinks hes hiding because hes under the table lol. But not venturing anywhere else. He doesnt try to bite or scratch when you go near him, but he does try and pull back a bit.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
A lot of cats only like to be touched on their own terms. You may have one of those. Or he may just still be adjusting.

If he is letting you come up next to him, try sitting down next to him with a treat in your pocket. Sit there for 15 min, then offer a treat. Read or engage in some other activity while you sit there. Leave an arm or hand near him, but not touching him. Go slow. Don't try to touch him. Let him touch you (or not).

It will take time, but he is still new to your family and still acclimating. He already sounds like he is coming around, but to be honest I think you may be doing what I did to Jarvis (our f3) and moving too fast for him. It took me months to undo the damage I had caused inadvertently. I know it's hard, but it will go better the slower you go, and believe me, it will be worth it in the end. The ones who make you work REALLY love you back when they get there.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Keep working with him and building his confidence. Getting through the vet appointment was a big deal for both of you, but it seems as if you both emerged on the other side unscathed. interactive wand toys may be a good place to build trust and confidence, such as a feather wand. On his own something like undercover mouse might also be a good one.

Slow and easy is the best path and don't get discouraged.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Is your kitten more food or play oriented?

Jammu could be easily won over by food but with Rafiki it was playing that did it. She really found toys at the end of a string/wand and soft squishy balls irresistible.

She also hated to be picked up and it took about a year of picking her up for a brief ear mushy or quick cuddle and setting her back down immediately before she was really OK with it. Now at 2 years old, she totally puts up with being picked up and cuddled and kissed.

K

KIM

Ah i love you guys. Just when i feel so hopeless you all are there with encouragement. I would say play driven. Of all the toys he has this thing with the springs . I couldn't find them anywhere so i ordered a bunch from amazon. its funny because hes sitting on the chair in the dining room watching us. I talk to him but don't overwhelm him. Hes a beauty and no a streak of meaness in him. Ultra sweet and calm. Just a tough nut to crack!!!

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Some of them take time. But it is completely worth it in the end. As I type this Jarvis is sitting next to me whining for me to play with him. Be warned, you are creating a monster, but a fun one.

K

KIM

Im taking my cues from him. He was out all day, but didnt attempt to eat or anything, so I got him back to the safe room, and then he ate like a piggie out of my hand, like he had not eaten in days, yet he never went to eat. Hes out like a light now, but hes in the room. Do I let him out. Why does he do this since hes been having more space to acclimate. And he sat in the dining room for hrs! lol.

K

KIM

So tell me, with Jarvis. Was he scared, skittish, nervous? How did you start acclimating Jarvis, and does this all sound familiar as Im talking about my little one? What do you think you did wrong or right to help him along.