Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My new F2B Portia....and a little health concern...

John Hemmerly

Savannah Super Cat
Hey everybody! I'm back....these are a few pics of my new F2 Portia.....she is 6 months old...you might remember my F1 named Portia from a few months ago...well, things didn't work out with her...she was too attached to her previous owner and never assimilated. We decided to give her back and it is a good thing...she is happy now and loves being with her real mom...:) I decided to name my new baby Portia too (love the name)...she was returned to my breeder due to an dietary issue...she ONLY likes wet food...no dry food. The previous owner wanted to breed her and only wanted to feed her dry food...they tried different brands hoping to get her to eat...she didn't and in turn lost a lot of weight...she was the pick of the litter and the litter mate of my other F2B Kaya...she is GORGEOUS! She is a sweet and wonerful cat...she gets all the wet food and fresh chicken she wants and is spoiled beyon belief...I will post more pics of her and Kaya soon...she is half the size of Kaya...I guess due the previous feeding issue..or possibly genetics.

This probably isn't the proper thread for this topic, but I need to get it off my chest, forgive me in advance... I am having a problem....she has had diarrea for 12 days. At first we thought it was the stress of the move, but when it continued, we got really worried...She eats and drinks regularly...had been on a steady wet food diet for a month before we got her...we took her to the vet for a physical...the vet put her on a probiotic, Fenbendazole for possible worms or Giardia (can't get a good fecal sample though due to the diarrea) & Cerenia....nothing has worked so far. We took her back for a blood panel and are awaiting the results. I am VERY worried to say the least. The vet doesn't seem too concerned because she is eating and drinking plenty of water...she definitely doesn't have the pep of a normal kitten...I am guessing that is due to the stomach issues...nobody feels like playing when your stomach is a wreck...does anybody have any opinions or comments? I read something about a raw food diet that helped other cats with similar issues...a company called Nature's Variety...thoughts? Also, she was vomiting really bad at first, but that is under control now...that only lasted the first few days....one more important thing...my other F2 Kaya got sick a week after Portia arrived...vomiting and diarrea...the vet put her on Fenbendazole too, but Kaya violently vomited that after the first dose...she was better the very next day to our surprise...the vet thought they might be sharing a bug...again, we are awaiting the blood results....the fact that Kaya got sick too lends youi to believe it is something contagious....Kaya's bowel movements are still not solid, but she acts totally normal....thanks for letting me ramble....love some feedback...

John

Attachments

She is a pretty baby.

Um- have you done a fecal sample on her? It's good you are treating for giardia- that's proactive, but tritrich can cause severe diarrhea and actually, so can some intestinal imbalances that can be treated with antibiotics. So there are different things a fecal sample would look for.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hey everybody! I'm back....these are a few pics of my new F2 Portia.....she is 6 months old...you might remember my F1 named Portia from a few months ago...well, things didn't work out with her...she was too attached to her previous owner and never assimilated. We decided to give her back and it is a good thing...she is happy now and loves being with her real mom...:) I decided to name my new baby Portia too (love the name)...she was returned to my breeder due to an dietary issue...she ONLY likes wet food...no dry food. The previous owner wanted to breed her and only wanted to feed her dry food...they tried different brands hoping to get her to eat...she didn't and in turn lost a lot of weight...she was the pick of the litter and the litter mate of my other F2B Kaya...she is GORGEOUS! She is a sweet and wonerful cat...she gets all the wet food and fresh chicken she wants and is spoiled beyon belief...I will post more pics of her and Kaya soon...she is half the size of Kaya...I guess due the previous feeding issue..or possibly genetics.

This probably isn't the proper thread for this topic, but I need to get it off my chest, forgive me in advance... I am having a problem....she has had diarrea for 12 days. At first we thought it was the stress of the move, but when it continued, we got really worried...She eats and drinks regularly...had been on a steady wet food diet for a month before we got her...we took her to the vet for a physical...the vet put her on a probiotic, Fenbendazole for possible worms or Giardia (can't get a good fecal sample though due to the diarrea) & Cerenia....nothing has worked so far. We took her back for a blood panel and are awaiting the results. I am VERY worried to say the least. The vet doesn't seem too concerned because she is eating and drinking plenty of water...she definitely doesn't have the pep of a normal kitten...I am guessing that is due to the stomach issues...nobody feels like playing when your stomach is a wreck...does anybody have any opinions or comments? I read something about a raw food diet that helped other cats with similar issues...a company called Nature's Variety...thoughts? Also, she was vomiting really bad at first, but that is under control now...that only lasted the first few days....one more important thing...my other F2 Kaya got sick a week after Portia arrived...vomiting and diarrea...the vet put her on Fenbendazole too, but Kaya violently vomited that after the first dose...she was better the very next day to our surprise...the vet thought they might be sharing a bug...again, we are awaiting the blood results....the fact that Kaya got sick too lends youi to believe it is something contagious....Kaya's bowel movements are still not solid, but she acts totally normal....thanks for letting me ramble....love some feedback...

John
hey John,

Welcome back! Your photos are way too small unfortunately to see...when you get a chance, please upload larger photos...

I moved the thread to a different forum...

It could be the food you are feeding to IBD to TriTrich...we have many, many threads on this subject...if you type in diarrhea in the search box, you will come up with lots of info...or just take a look under Savannah Cat Advice or Savannah cat health

John Hemmerly

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Paige...I didn't plan on venting here, but thanks for cleaning up my mess...I appreciate it! :)
I will check it out and I will upload larger photos...thanks again!

John

John Hemmerly

Savannah Super Cat
She is a pretty baby.

Um- have you done a fecal sample on her? It's good you are treating for giardia- that's proactive, but tritrich can cause severe diarrhea and actually, so can some intestinal imbalances that can be treated with antibiotics. So there are different things a fecal sample would look for.
Hey Trish....I did submit a diarrea sample which came back ok, BUT the vet said they need a solid one to get a GOOD reading...since she has only had diarrea, I have been out of luck...I am hoping the blood test will reveal something....also, forgot to mention that my vet put her on a bland diet...I/D rx food and boiled chicken....she loves both, but still has diarrea....

John Hemmerly

Savannah Super Cat
hey John,

Welcome back! Your photos are way too small unfortunately to see...when you get a chance, please upload larger photos...

I moved the thread to a different forum...

It could be the food you are feeding to IBD to TriTrich...we have many, many threads on this subject...if you type in diarrhea in the search box, you will come up with lots of info...or just take a look under Savannah Cat Advice or Savannah cat health

Thanks Paige...I didn't plan on venting here, but thanks for cleaning up my mess...I appreciate it! :)
I will check it out and I will upload larger photos...thanks again!

John

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hey Trish....I did submit a diarrea sample which came back ok, BUT the vet said they need a solid one to get a GOOD reading...since she has only had diarrea, I have been out of luck...I am hoping the blood test will reveal something....also, forgot to mention that my vet put her on a bland diet...I/D rx food and boiled chicken....she loves both, but still has diarrea....
John they probably should do an IDEXX PCR panel for Tritrich...

John Popp

Site Supporter
My kitten is very sensitive to diet changes and will have loose stools when there isn't a slow introduction to new foods. No more than a half of just one of his three meals for a couple days and then I can raise it to as much as half the second week.

12 days of diarrhea is pretty bad and a cause for concern. 48 hours and I am panicked with a certain trip to the vets office. I'd certainly want an IV bag around so I could get some emergency fluids into them if need be.

I'm sure a raw diet would help, but the primary thing is finding something with a level of continuity with their former diet. A sensitive stomach says duck and pea to me, or until the diarrhea clears something as bland as boiled chicken and yogurt.

Definitely keep us posted.

That makes no sense- from what I know, they can read more from a diarrhea sample then from a solid. Maybe that's just for tritrich- but anyways, was it a PCR panel? Do you know? Or was it a local fecal smear? There is a world of difference- usually in cost too, unfortunately :(