Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My Savannah F4 girl keeps eating paper

Nic

Savannah Kitten
I need some advice she keeps on eating papers or boxes and completely destroys her dental chew toys ends up digesting it too.
(Almost 1 year old)
I have grass for her but does not really stop her from going for the other stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well if you want her to stop chewing on paper or boxes you need to keep them out of her reach. I don't think either is harmful - I give my cats boxes to play in and chew on - but understand that it can be annoying if she is chewing on something you don't want her to.

I would be careful of any toys she swallows - unlike paper and cardboard, these types of items can potentially cause a bowel obstruction if ingested, which could be quite costly to you...

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
If that's all she's eating, I'd consider yourself lucky. There have been others who weren't so lucky and had their Savannah prefer to chew on expensive shoes or furniture. Seems like paper & cardboard are some of the most irresistible things to a cat. Shango is over a year old and still loves his paper & cardboard boxes. Any important papers I don't want shredded are kept where Shango cannot get them. I always have at least 1 cardboard box around for Shango to play in and chew on. Usually by the time it's ready to be tossed, I have another new box to give him. I think of cardboard as a safe & very cheap cat toy.

When Shango was a kitten, he could destroy cat dental chew toys within a couple days. As he got older, I didn't even bother wasting my money because they'd only last a few minutes. I found some much sturdier dog chew toys that he wasn't able to destroy, but as he's gotten older he doesn't chew on them much anymore. I also have to be careful what toys can be left out vs the ones that are for supervised play only. Luckily he never ate the stuffing, but he has ate fabric on multiple occasions... most of the time he'd throw it back up or when it was only a little piece, he'd end up digesting it. I thought he'd outgrow that annoying habit, but unfortunately he'll still eat things if given the opportunity. Turn around for 5 minutes to take a phone call and realize I left the toy unsupervised and it's missing an ear or leg :rolleyes:

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki also loves paper and cardboard. To get my attention, she will go to the nearest paper and start chomping off a piece and spitting it out. Her horizontal scratchpads all have chunks missing. She destroys them faster by chewing than by scratching. Chew toys were useless. She wasn't interested in them. I also unsuccessfully tried Silver Vine sticks. Fresh is Best freeze dried duck necks twice a week works the best.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
Fresh is Best freeze dried duck necks twice a week works the best.

I give Shango Fresh is Best freeze dried chicken necks 1-2 times a week. I also bought him 1 bag of duck necks, but haven't opened them (or the chicken & duck feet) yet. The duck necks are a lot bigger than the chicken... do you give Rafiki the entire neck or break in half?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I give Shango Fresh is Best freeze dried chicken necks 1-2 times a week. I also bought him 1 bag of duck necks, but haven't opened them (or the chicken & duck feet) yet. The duck necks are a lot bigger than the chicken... do you give Rafiki the entire neck or break in half?
I break it in half. I used to give her the chicken necks but Jammu is allergic to chicken so it is not worth the effort to make sure that he does not get to it.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
I break it in half. I used to give her the chicken necks but Jammu is allergic to chicken so it is not worth the effort to make sure that he does not get to it.

(y) When the bag of chicken necks are gone, I'll have to let Shango try half a duck neck.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki used to like the duck feet but somehow grew tired of them last year. Never tried the chicken feet. Both cats like freeze dried duck anything over chicken. Too bad it is more expensive than chicken!