Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My Savannah needs a buddy

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
Simba wants to ruff house with my old Himalayan. Mocha wants no part of it. So I'm looking for a buddy for Simba. I don't think my house could handle another Savannah. So I was looking at getting a Rag Doll. Another breeder suggested a better fit would be a Selkirk Rex. I had never heard of them so I googled them and they are beautiful. The curly hair is adorable.

So my question is what would be a better fit, a rag doll or a Selkirk Rex?

Can anyone give me any first hand info on Selkirk Rex's

Thanks

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't know much about either breed, but if you want a companion for Simba it might be best to look for another active breed cat. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you don't think you could handle another Savannah, but if you want another active cat that can also be easy going and laid back you might want to check out Highlanders. They are a Preliminary New Breed with TICA and get along amazingly well with my Savannahs: http://www.highlanderbreedsection.com/

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Simba wants to ruff house with my old Himalayan. Mocha wants no part of it. So I'm looking for a buddy for Simba. I don't think my house could handle another Savannah. So I was looking at getting a Rag Doll. Another breeder suggested a better fit would be a Selkirk Rex. I had never heard of them so I googled them and they are beautiful. The curly hair is adorable.

So my question is what would be a better fit, a rag doll or a Selkirk Rex?

Can anyone give me any first hand info on Selkirk Rex's

Thanks
I would tend to say Selkirk but maybe that is because of the Selkirks I see at cat shows here in CA... they seem very laidback and take a lot to get bothered. Their personalities remind me a lot of my own British Shorthair (and the Brit is an outcross for the breed)...and he tends to cope with a lot of exuberance in my household. When he wants to play, he doesn't have to go far..but if he's not interested he just ignores...and I think that key. If the cat reacts and gets annoyed, then this is like "poke the bear" and they do it just for the reaction.

Also, I see from your signature your SV came from Wyldthingz? I am sure you've seen the two kittens they've added there recently...one selkirk and one hhp (straight-coated selkirk) and how well they've integrated.

I think some Ragdolls can be very chill but again, choose the breeder carefully to make sure you get a kitten than handles your Savannah as obviously you now see what happens when a companion kitty doesn't!

Good luck!

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
I would tend to say Selkirk but maybe that is because of the Selkirks I see at cat shows here in CA... they seem very laidback and take a lot to get bothered. Their personalities remind me a lot of my own British Shorthair (and the Brit is an outcross for the breed)...and he tends to cope with a lot of exuberance in my household. When he wants to play, he doesn't have to go far..but if he's not interested he just ignores...and I think that key. If the cat reacts and gets annoyed, then this is like "poke the bear" and they do it just for the reaction.

Also, I see from your signature your SV came from Wyldthingz? I am sure you've seen the two kittens they've added there recently...one selkirk and one hhp (straight-coated selkirk) and how well they've integrated.

I think some Ragdolls can be very chill but again, choose the breeder carefully to make sure you get a kitten than handles your Savannah as obviously you now see what happens when a companion kitty doesn't!

Good luck!
You hit the nail on the head with the poke the bear comment. Simba will run full speed right at mocha. You can see mocha tense up for the collision but the last possible second simba jumps over mocha. You can see the relief on mochas face. Or when mocha wants to jump up on the bed or couch simba will grab him in mid air and pull him back to the ground. Poor mocha doesn't have front claws (before I knew better) so he is at a disadvantage. Simba isn't trying to hurt him. He just wants to play.

sacred

Savannah Super Cat
You hit the nail on the head with the poke the bear comment. Simba will run full speed right at mocha. You can see mocha tense up for the collision but the last possible second simba jumps over mocha. You can see the relief on mochas face. Or when mocha wants to jump up on the bed or couch simba will grab him in mid air and pull him back to the ground. Poor mocha doesn't have front claws (before I knew better) so he is at a disadvantage. Simba isn't trying to hurt him. He just wants to play.
Get a medium sized active dog with a friendly disposition from a rescue shelter. Everyone will win.

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
Get a medium sized active dog with a friendly disposition from a rescue shelter. Everyone will win.
I had a 235 lbs mastiff that mocha just loved. They would sleep together and mocha would clean his ears and eyes. Sure miss him :-(

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Poke the bear. Thank you for that insight. I am having that challenge with Mayhem. I just couldn't put a name to it............

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's why I recommend to those wanting a Savannah to carefully consider the personalities of the cats currently in the household. It's not just if those cats are friendly and happy, it's how they might take to the exuberance and persistence of a Savannah... who think "no" means "try harder" and a cat running away is an invitation to chase and wrestle to the ground. Many many cats will react and get upset, especially when they just want to be left alone.

Oftentimes finding them a similar-energied companion or at least one that doesn't mind the extreme playfulness will fix the issue, the savannah may just want a buddy... but sometimes the problem can continue, and you might need to consider giving the less-interactive kitty a sanctuary room where they get peace and quiet for at least part of the day...

admin

Paige
Staff member
mark, I have several kitten owners who have ragdolls and they do not appreciate the exuberance and persistence of the savannah kittens...luckily they have either another high energy cat or dog, so it is ok...the selkirk would probably be a better fit...or maybe an aby...or OS...or even a later gen savannah?