Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Nails

C

Coolcat

Mrs. CC here...I know what it's like when the hubby trims our cat's nails. Shady would bite if CC didn't stop her, and Cleo acts like an armadillo when it feels threatened; curling into a ball, denying access to her paws. How much fun is it to trim a Savannah's nails? Also, I'm curious...are SV's pretty loyal to their scratching posts? We don't have much of a problem with our Bengal scratching the furniture. Our Manx, on the other hand, needs quite a bit of verbal redirection. She really loves to dig her nails into our Berber carpet, and the back of the sofa. I've seen nail covers but am wondering how well they work. It would seem that they would pop off when nails are retracted, or don't they cover quite that much of the nail?

Depends upon the cat :) My F1s can be easier to trim then some of my lower gen show kitties- but it also depends upon the time of day! Really, best way to get it done is to do it as a part of your weekly routine and then they are used to it.

Gel caps do work, but they require maintenance. I'm just not into that. Um, my SVs are really not that bad with clawing things up (minus this dining room set, but well- I knew that it was a goner before I bought it). My 13 year old DSH former feral is the horrific clawer of my household. He destroys everything- including doorways.

C

Coolcat

B
Depends upon the cat :) My F1s can be easier to trim then some of my lower gen show kitties- but it also depends upon the time of day! Really, best way to get it done is to do it as a part of your weekly routine and then they are used to it.

Gel caps do work, but they require maintenance. I'm just not into that. Um, my SVs are really not that bad with clawing things up (minus this dining room set, but well- I knew that it was a goner before I bought it). My 13 year old DSH former feral is the horrific clawer of my household. He destroys everything- including doorways.
Bengal already has dibs on our door frames.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It completely depends on individuals not generation. Some of mine are so very easy but I have one (an F4) that is insane about not having her nails clipped. And we've had her since birth, handled her paws constantly as a baby and clipped often as a baby and she has always freaked out about it. We've never hit the quick with her, there's been no negative incidents... Wonder if there are just some with more sensitivity in the the nail bed vicinity? I don't know.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
But in terms of furniture destruction, it is our British Shorthair that is worst about that. The others are happy using scratching posts and cardboard scratchers etc... Georgie is terrible. We had a set of dining chairs that were covered in microsuede... and people would visit and say "Oh the Savannahs are tough on furniture?" and we'd have to say "Nope, that would be the British Shorthair's work, they were fine until he arrived here". I tend to think it is like most of these cat traits, it just depends on the individual cat not the breed...