Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Near Fatal 'Calming' Cat Collar-- Sentry Calming Collar

Trish Allearz

First off-- let's say, it's not calming to your kitty nor you (nor your breeder) when you use a calming collar and it nearly kills your kitty :(

Yesterday, one of my kitten owners put the Sentry Calming Collar on her F2 Savannah. Looking at the package, it clearly states that it is for cats and is a breakaway collar and although you cannot see it well in pictures, I am told there is a delineation on the collar which make it appear as though that is the case.

My owner heard one of her Sphynxes hissing and throwing a huge fit in the other room and hurried in to see what was going on. She found her beautiful F2 Savannah limp on the floor, the collar stuck in her mouth and drool all over the place. Shortly after she removed the collar, Zoe-- our girl-- regained consciousness, but she exhibited neurological symptoms from the lack of oxygen the rest of that day and finally today-- 24 hours later-- appears to be doing okay.

After the owner brought this situation up on Facebook-- MANY other cat owners said they had the same situation in which they had applied the collar and somehow, the cat managed to get it caught in their mouth. My only assumption is that the collar is smooth looking and the cats are managing to claw it just enough to open it a bit further and then they hook it and panic-- which is when the owners tend to intercede. The situation yesterday, however, came close to deadly and without the Sphynx's hissy fit, I think my girl would probably be at the Bridge today.

PLEASE do not risk your cat/kittens and DO NOT use this collar. There are other calming products on the market. Please do not buy this Sentry Calming Collar for cats :( IT IS NOT A BREAKAWAY COLLAR-- or better put-- their breakaway system DOES NOT WORK.

aharter

Savannah Super Cat
Trish, when I was younger I went into a local pet store , and I looked over at one of the walls, and there was a kitten hanging from it's neck by a collar, on one of those display pegs... It was thrashing around and would have died I'm certain if I wouldn't have turned that corner and ran to pull it off of the hook . It was so scary, the pet store owner had no idea because the kitten wasn't making a sound. I don't even remember if it was a 'breakaway' collar or not, but ever since then I have never kept a collar on my pets. I am sooooo glad the owner found Zoe in time!! Hopefully others learn from this!

Trish Allearz

Trish, when I was younger I went into a local pet store , and I looked over at one of the walls, and there was a kitten hanging from it's neck by a collar, on one of those display pegs... It was thrashing around and would have died I'm certain if I wouldn't have turned that corner and ran to pull it off of the hook . It was so scary, the pet store owner had no idea because the kitten wasn't making a sound. I don't even remember if it was a 'breakaway' collar or not, but ever since then I have never kept a collar on my pets. I am sooooo glad the owner found Zoe in time!! Hopefully others learn from this!
Yeah, collars can be pretty scary and it seems to be a consensus that even breakaway collars don't work unless hooked 'just right.' I had bought an adorable collar for Una during the Christmas sales and now I'm thinking I'll return it :( My cats normally don't wear collars because they manage to pull the breakaways off anyways.

This was very scary as Zoe exhibited neurological symptoms as soon as she was revived and I know both her mom and myself are very happy that by the next day, she was back to her normal scampish behavior.

The bad thing is that these collars are very recommended by cat behaviorists as well as veterinarians. YET they are not nearly SAFE enough without being true-true breakaways.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Glad your furbaby is ok, we wear jewelry with magnetic clasps from NakedDiva but not collars....for the same reason, breakaways don't always break...& this one sounds even more dangerous! Thanks for spot lighting it!

Trish Allearz

Glad your furbaby is ok, we wear jewelry with magnetic clasps from NakedDiva but not collars....for the same reason, breakaways don't always break...& this one sounds even more dangerous! Thanks for spot lighting it!
Yes, Kelly @NakedDiva is wonderful! We <3 her!