Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEED HELP!!!!

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
Ok so here it is its time for Kato's 1st booster the breeder says absolutely nothing but Fel-o-vax 4 with clicies which is a dead vaccine. The Vet says NO she won't order it nor give it she recommends MLV. What should I do he is a 12 week F2 and he needs his shot!

Allan

admin

Paige
Staff member
Ok so here it is its time for Kato's 1st booster the breeder says absolutely nothing but Fel-o-vax 4 with clicies which is a dead vaccine. The Vet says NO she won't order it nor give it she recommends MLV. What should I do he is a 12 week F2 and he needs his shot!

Allan

Allan, does your contract call for using the dead vaccines?

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
The breeder has said that she wants only dead vaccines used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
The breeder has said that she wants only dead vaccines used.

My question was is it in your contract...I use MLV with no issues, but some breeders insist on killed vaccines...my vet will not order the killed either, unless I pay for 25 vials...

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
I don't believe that the contact states that in there but she has been specific about treatment plans. My vet is from Kenya and has been carring for servals and Savannah's for many years and refuses to even order the dead. But both sides seem to have very valid points and not being a vet has left me with very mixed feelings.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I don't believe that the contact states that in there but she has been specific about treatment plans. My vet is from Kenya and has been carring for servals and Savannah's for many years and refuses to even order the dead. But both sides seem to have very valid points and not being a vet has left me with very mixed feelings.

As a breeder, it is difficult for me to advise you to go against your breeder's wishes...however, as a breeder, I give MLV and I have many reasons for doing so...there are differing opinions on this subject as you will see by doing a search for vaccines or looking in the Vet's corner...our resident vet on the forum, uses MLV as well...you are going to have to make this decision, I'm afraid...

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
Lol well ordered 25 doses of the killed so I guess I have a day or two to decide but prob well just end up going with the breeder.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's hard when you are caught between the differing opinions of two people you trust! I don't envy you that choice.

My vet gives killed vaccines, we only give 3 way as Chlamydia is not so much of a danger where I live and my vet says they only recommend it if they see outbreaks and they haven't for years.

I know of many breeders that use the MLV without issue, so I do not think that Savannahs necessarily need killed vaccines, it is a personal preference only imho.

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for your stone in the scales of choice!

Trish Allearz

I've used both. With my Savannahs and my Sphynxes.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)