Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Need Help

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
I have two cats,
A 16 year old Himalayan and a 4-1/2 year old Savannah.
Had to do a lion cut on my Himalayan do to mats. Now my Savannah (simba)doesn't recognize him. He hisses and howls which puts stress on my Himalayan (Mocha). Mocha now hisses and howls at me which he has never done. I have them separated right now. Mocha is warming up to me slowly until simba starts at it and them mocha is hissing at me again. Mocha has been home since 5 pm on Monday and simba is acting the same way.
What do I need to do?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I have two cats,
A 16 year old Himalayan and a 4-1/2 year old Savannah.
Had to do a lion cut on my Himalayan do to mats. Now my Savannah (simba)doesn't recognize him. He hisses and howls which puts stress on my Himalayan (Mocha). Mocha now hisses and howls at me which he has never done. I have them separated right now. Mocha is warming up to me slowly until simba starts at it and them mocha is hissing at me again. Mocha has been home since 5 pm on Monday and simba is acting the same way.
What do I need to do?
Does your Himy now smell different? Did they also bath him or spray him with anything? If so, rub some of your clothes onto Simba and then on Mocha. Hopefully he will smell like a proper cat again.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I suggest doing a short quarantine as you're already doing and alternate which cat is separated. This will pass but can sometimes take a week or more. Just keep mingling the scents of both cats until the hissy fits cease.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Poor kitties... Mocha looks a new kitty and Simba doesn't like it. I would try the scent thing... even not just vanilla on Simba's nose but rub Mocha with some of the vanilla too... but give it time. That's a big adjustment!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I also agree with swapping out bedding and clothing; and a dab of vanilla on both of their noses often works like a charm.