Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Need major help pleaseeee

Are male cat Dexter has irritable bowel syndrome
He’s had that situation since we’ve gotten him five or six years ago ... The vets have switched his food and Pre-and probiotics many times I also gave him 1/4 teaspoon of fiber ( Metamucil ) every day
And needless to say we haven’t gotten anywhere.
I started him on instinct , but I want to attempt
( I don’t know if he’ll eat it or not )
to give him organs particularly chicken hearts
As I’ve read that this would be the highest Nutritional value.
Is this something I just chop up and give it to him straight from the store ?
Do I mix it in to his wet food ?
( I use the wet food to mix his probiotics N fiber in too )
I also have a female and their babe
(who’s like 4 now )
And they on the other end of the scope they are constantly constipated.
I need to find some balance for them ASAP
And again I don’t know if they’ll do the Rall diet I’m going to attempt it.
In the event that they won’t I could really use some recommendations on a stable diet for them
My girls are extremely fussy with their food needless to say this is been a mission
I really appreciate all the help I can get thank you

Attachments

Are male cat Dexter has irritable bowel syndrome
He’s had that situation since we’ve gotten him five or six years ago ... The vets have switched his food and Pre-and probiotics many times I also gave him 1/4 teaspoon of fiber ( Metamucil ) every day
And needless to say we haven’t gotten anywhere.
I started him on instinct , but I want to attempt
( I don’t know if he’ll eat it or not )
to give him organs particularly chicken hearts
As I’ve read that this would be the highest Nutritional value.
Is this something I just chop up and give it to him straight from the store ?
Do I mix it in to his wet food ?
( I use the wet food to mix his probiotics N fiber in too )
I also have a female and their babe
(who’s like 4 now )
And they on the other end of the scope they are constantly constipated.
I need to find some balance for them ASAP
And again I don’t know if they’ll do the Rall diet I’m going to attempt it.
In the event that they won’t I could really use some recommendations on a stable diet for them
My girls are extremely fussy with their food needless to say this is been a mission
I really appreciate all the help I can get thank you

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
New foods should always be introduced slowly. Give the heart with his current food and give him time to figure out that he can eat it. They don't always recognize raw as food if they've never had it before. Start with small pieces of heart and gradually work up to a whole heart if he likes it. Hearts contain taurine which is an essential amino acid for cats. Taurine exists in dark meat such as thighs also. If you feed other organs, be sure not to overdo it on the liver.

What are the constipated cats eating? Cats who exclusively eat kibble might not drink enough water which can lead to constipation and other issues. Feeding canned food is always preferable to kibble.

An excellent source of info for cat nutrition is https://catinfo.org/. Here is a direct link to constipation info from that site https://catinfo.org/?s=constipation#Constipation

Vito

Site Supporter
New foods should always be introduced slowly. Give the heart with his current food and give him time to figure out that he can eat it. They don't always recognize raw as food if they've never had it before. Start with small pieces of heart and gradually work up to a whole heart if he likes it. Hearts contain taurine which is an essential amino acid for cats. Taurine exists in dark meat such as thighs also. If you feed other organs, be sure not to overdo it on the liver.

What are the constipated cats eating? Cats who exclusively eat kibble might not drink enough water which can lead to constipation and other issues. Feeding canned food is always preferable to kibble.

An excellent source of info for cat nutrition is https://catinfo.org/. Here is a direct link to constipation info from that site https://catinfo.org/?s=constipation#Constipation
Hi Witchy, unrelated question, but on topic of chicken hearts. What's your thoughts on freeze-dried chicken hearts as treats?

Definitely start with freeze dried organs. Just about all cats love them as treats, even those who won’t touch raw food otherwise...You could also break them up and mix it in their regular dry food. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vito

Site Supporter
Definitely start with freeze dried organs. Just about all cats love them as treats, even those who won’t touch raw food otherwise...You could also break them up and mix it in their regular dry food. Good luck

Thank you for your advice, have ordered some for the guys.

IMG_7404.png
This would be my choice for hearts ... break each heart into 3 or 4 pieces...or powder it down and mix with dry food. Also check out the ketogenic food I’m using. A little pricier, well worth it. There’s even a more expensive version with higher protein content. IMG_7405.png

Vito

Site Supporter
View attachment 28148
This would be my choice for hearts ... break each heart into 3 or 4 pieces...or powder it down and mix with dry food. Also check out the ketogenic food I’m using. A little pricier, well worth it. There’s even a more expensive version with higher protein content. View attachment 28149

Great, thanks for info:)

Attachments