Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Need opinions. Kind of bummed out

Alex and Katie

Savannah Super Cat
#1
So I brought home an F3 male Kovu 3 weeks ago. He is doing better than great and we love him to death. He was purchased alongside an F2 male who we named Zuri. I had not had the intention of getting both an F2 and an F3 but Kovu has a nose deformity from A fight and was basically thrown in (paid 300 bucks for him) as a package deal when I put down a 50% deposit on then 4 week old Zuri. Kovu was just so sweet and cute I couldn't not get him along with an F2. I just got an email from the breeder saying that she sexed all 4 F2's wrong. She had said they were all male but it turns out they are all female. My heart was really set on an F2 male as I was looking for something that would/could get massive. I'm so bummed out that the F2 I put a deposit down is female. Now i know that there are breeders who will charge 7 grand for an F2 male pet. That's not something i was willing to do. Neverthe less I still put down a 50% deposit on a 3500 dollar F2 "male" that turned out to be female as well as having paid 300 dollars for my F3 Kovu. I don't know what to do. I have t responded to the breeders email yet as I don't really know what to say. In the email she said the vet said that as the largest of the 4 and based on her current size that she should still be a big girl but i really had my heart set on a male. I know without a doubt that the breeder would give me breeding rights for the agreed upon 3500 which is a very good deal for a breeder F2 female I think, but I really have no interest in breeding savannahs nor do I have a male to breed her to. At this point I don't even know what my options are. I'm afraid that if I ask for a refund for zuri that she will claim that Kovu was sold at such a steep discount because I bought a full
Price F2 from her (and her nicest one at that). And I'm NOT willing to give back Kovu that is simply not an option. Does anyone have an opinion as to an F2 females potential size vs and F2 male? If I do decide to take zuri as a female I don't think I should have to pay the full balance of what I had owed under the pretense that I was buying a male. Am I wrong in thinking that? I still owe 1900 dollars on zuri and I'm not comfortable paying full price for something other than what was agreed upon. I also don't want this to turn into threats of legal action and what not. What would be an appropriate discount to demand in a case like this? Furthermore if I did decide not to take the female F2 I would be interested in immediately finding an F2 male kitten to bring home to raise with Zuri. If anyone has any available or knows of anyone who does that aren't outrageously priced i would be very interested. Sorry for the long post just super stressed out about this and don't want to make any harsh decisions.
 

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
#2
IMHO, Kovu is a done deal. Breeder should have been sure of the sex of the litter before entering sales negotiation and just suck up the financial loss if the female kitten is breeder quality. Unless you have a contract that stipulates what happens in such a situation, your options are to accept the female, ask for a refund, or wait until the breeder has a litter with a male in it which may or may not be this year.

OTOH, I'm more worried about how disappointed you'll be in a kitten, be it female or male, if it doesn't meet your wishes for size. You've probably read some "size" threads here and know that it cannot be guaranteed. Your F3 may grow bigger than any F2 you acquire. It's really a genetic crap shoot.
 

Alex and Katie

Savannah Super Cat
#3
I understand that size cannot be guaranteed but don't I have a better shot of a bigger cat with a male than with a female? Also so asking for a partial refund or reduced price is a no go? There's nothing in the contract that stipulates any kind of situation like this
 

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
#4
I think you are within your rights to ask for a refund of the deposit placed on the F2 kitten. I think you are within your rights to ask that the F2 female be given to you at the $3500 agreed upon price for an F2 male. I don't think you're entitled to a discount on the F2 female if you choose to take it. Breeder quality F2 females exceed the cost you'd be paying for her and you should consider getting a female for that price as a major score. I think you're getting quite a deal at $3500 for a male too. You have a better shot at getting a larger cat if it's male.
 

KMcgown

Site Supporter
#5
Whatever cat you get, you will have for a long time. Get the cat you want. If you really want a male, ask for a refund or wait for the next litter. Are there any other reasons you want a Male? As Deborah said, you can have a small F2 male or a big F2 female, its really a role of the dice. I
 
#7
You could always ask to apply the deposit to a future litter IF you are willing to wait. I have and have had a number of F2 girls and only two of them come close to the larger size that most F2 males achieve. Some are not much taller than domestics and even my big boy F5C is larger than most of my F2 females. So depending on the line (MC at the F1 level, etc.), the likelihood that the female will get as large as you are hoping is pretty slim. That said, 3,500 is a DEAL for an F2 pet of any sex so I wouldn't expect a further discount.

Either way, I would hope that the breeder would be open to discussions and most certainly not be asking for a special needs kitten back if you insist on a refund. I placed a special needs F3 female for about that price a few years back. They deserve quality homes, tons of love and sometimes accommodation depending on what the issue is. Sounds like Kovu has that with you.
 

Alex and Katie

Savannah Super Cat
#8
You could always ask to apply the deposit to a future litter IF you are willing to wait. I have and have had a number of F2 girls and only two of them come close to the larger size that most F2 males achieve. Some are not much taller than domestics and even my big boy F5C is larger than most of my F2 females. So depending on the line (MC at the F1 level, etc.), the likelihood that the female will get as large as you are hoping is pretty slim. That said, 3,500 is a DEAL for an F2 pet of any sex so I wouldn't expect a further discount.

Either way, I would hope that the breeder would be open to discussions and most certainly not be asking for a special needs kitten back if you insist on a refund. I placed a special needs F3 female for about that price a few years back. They deserve quality homes, tons of love and sometimes accommodation depending on what the issue is. Sounds like Kovu has that with you.

Yea I'm thinking I'm going to ask for a refund on my deposit an continue lookin for an F2 male. I know size isn't guaranteed but it sounds like better odds for sure. Thanks!
 

Patti

Admin
Staff member
#9
The pet price for an F2 - male or female - should be the same, so if you ask for a refund it is not because your F2 is not worth what she was sold for, but because the breeder made an error in sexing her (btw have you confirmed this yourself?). I think it all depends on what your contract says - you can ask for a refund because you didn't get what you were paying for. On the other hand, unless otherwise stipulated in the contract the breeder would be perfectly in her right to then ask you to return the cat for refund. I'm sure she would think it is not quite fair to her for you to get a refund and keep the merchandise when she would be able to turn around and sell the same cat for the same price to someone else. If returning her is unacceptable to you, then you will just have to try to work out a compromise with the breeder and hope for the best. I do believe that there should be compensation for her error, but it will most likely have to be up to the two of you to workout together what that will be.
 

Alex and Katie

Savannah Super Cat
#10
The vet confirmed today that all 4 in the litter are intact female. Even of there had been another male that was different than I had picked i would go with the male but with my heart set on an f2 or f1 (which is way out of my price range) male i think I have to ask for a
Refund. There is nothing in the contract that stipulates any possible wrong sexing or anything but does state that if the kitten has any problems within a year that inal entitled to a Full refund. The contract clearly states F2 male so i would consider being a female to be a problem. As for the kitten that has already been home for 3 weeks who we love dearly if she demands him
Back I guess it will end up on Court (which info NOT want) but the contract for the F3 does not state that his purchase price which is listed on the contract is contingent on me buying an F2.