Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Needy kitty troubles

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
soooooo.. Life is going great with my Loki bear. He is moving along in his "potty" training. I solved the marking problem with a calming facial pheromone plug in, he's doing super awesome on his raw diet. His poops are completely solid!!!!!! Soooo happy. He listens to me... Not so much Adam but then again he's my "son" lol Adam is the evil step father. everything is just about perfect except...I'm noticing how increasingly attached he is. At first it was adorable (ok it still is) but I'm starting to worry this could lead to some anxiety problems down the road. He goes with me just about everywhere because he freaks out when I leave. Starts pacing, Adam recorded a week or two ago Loki sitting at the front door after I left for an hour then spent the next 8 hours pacing between the table looking at the driveway and the front door. He meows incessantly when I am gone, or when I go outside. He won't leave my side for the most part. (Except for potty and food time) I love him to pieces but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe he needs a friend. Someone to help him not feel so lonely when I'm gone. To distract him and diffuse some of the attachment. Are there other ways to help him? I think he would be much happier with another cat around but I have no idea where to start. I don't really have money for another savannah at this time. I've thought about a bengal but those also can be quite expensive. I am looking for a high energy breed that would be less likely to stir up allergies too badly. I can't do Maine coon cats for example. A short hair energetic cat would do but what breed would you recommend? And would another male or Would a female be better typically in a match? Unless you have any non second kitty ideas? Throw me at me =]

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
It does sound like addressing this issue now would be really good.

The one thing other than a companion animal is to get him to bond to Adam. Is Adam willing to put in the time this will require--and to put up with Loki through the process?

Probably the best would be for you to leave for however long it takes for him to bond to Adam. A less drastic step, but less likely to work, is for Adam to take over all interactions with Loki--feeding, playing, walks. Adam will need to find something to distract him from missing your attention long enough that Loki notices and engaged with him.

Is there something new that they can do together? Does Loki go on walks on a leash? I'm finding that that is sufficiently novel and sensory filling that my two Savannahs are getting along better on walks.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
All animals seem to bond with my boyfriend it's something about his personality. He does cuddle with Adam but only does anymore if I am home. Adam doesn't take as much time to play with him. So instead of showing affection now a days Loki just gets into trouble when I am gone, yesterday he chewed through Adams phone charger, knocked over a glass, and ran outside for a sec ( slipped passed him as sat on the porch) he admitted to not playing with him much because he was doing laundry all day. Loki fights back like a toddler does . Right now Adam isn't working (he's hiking a section of the Appalachian trail In the next few weeks and is on personal leave. So he is home 24/7 he feeds him and will play. The cat gets along with him. But Loki wants for attention than he gives. Plus when Adam leaves Loki realllllly freaks out cuz he's completely alone.

admin

Paige
Staff member
You can always just get Loki a friend...doe not have to be a Savannah or purebred...you can go to a shelter near you and get a shelter kitty...as long as it is a kitten, all will probably be ok...

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I wish I had an idea which breeds of cat I am most allergic to so I can avoid. That would make this sooooo much easier.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Our tall 3yo male F2 Ziggy has great fun playing with our 1yo mutt of a cat male DMH Jax. Jax can walk under Ziggy without slouching or Ziggy arching his back. It's hilarious.

As long as the cat is high energy and a kitten, it'll be fine. There are recommendations on this forum for other high energy breeds.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
There is a new age store near my house that works with the SPCA and adopts out young kittens. As soon as they are 1lb. They have adorable kittens I play with everytime I come in I think I'm gunna take the leap and pick one up. I can take an allergy pill and deal with it if the bother me but they are short hair so I know they done bother me as much. I actually have an idea which one. There's this little girl who won't leave me alone when I go in there. She is 5 weeks old which is young but they adopt out to owners willing to give them the hands on attention they need. And the adoption includes all vaccines and spay once old enough

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I had the same issue with Jengo, still do a bit. He has separation anxiety HUGE and even ended up eating things he shouldn't as the stress of a weekend away caused him to develop a lovely chewing habit. I really recommend a second for him. I just got Wiggles our F5 3 weeks ago - they don't like each other yet but Jengo is learning to deal with his emotions in a more positive way. He is learning slowly to communicate with the other cat. I wish I had done this sooner. After 2 years of feeding this behaviour it's been difficult for him to accept a buddy. If I had done this as soon as he started becoming overly attached it would have served him better, so much better. I just felt so afraid to put him in an uncomfortable situation because he's "different" and "special." It's really brought him out of his shell. Even if he and Wiggles never become best friends at least he is never alone and has learned to a bit more self sufficient. He's even playing by himself - he would never do that. He plays with guests now, he hangs out, he lets them pet him. Stuff 3 weeks ago that wasn't happening.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Sounds great! Be sure to have a two week quarantine period. You don't want Loki catching something from her--and, even with kittens it helps them get used to each other's scent/sounds and maybe looks if you can arrange it.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I did a quarantine even with my bunnies, and Loki. It helps the bonding process and for the new lil guy to get used to his surroundings. And yea the sight and sound then also helps. I know introducing a new pet is a gradual process. And since all rounds of vaccine aren't done would I want to wait until the kitten is 16 weeks old? As far as not catching anything I was wondering what difference unless the kitten is just given a vaccine. Or is it to be a safe guard to make sure no symptoms arise when he comes home?