Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New couch

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
I'm getting new couches tomorrow because simba has chewed my old couches up. He doesn't claw them, just chews on the corners. I put bitter apple spray on the corners (that stuff is nasty tasting) but that didn't stop him. My old couch was leather and had square corners. New couch is micro fiber and has rounded corners. Anybody have any ideas how to keep him from chewing on them. He has plenty of toys.
Mark

MM3

Site Supporter
Dr. Bronners soap flavor of peppermint. Use it full strength dab it on area. It worked for me .....she actually quit chewing. health food stores carry it. Good luck. Also check Marilyn's book " naughty no more"

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Peppermint makes my F1 crazy drooling and rubbing on it, so would be cautious about whether that keeps a cat away from it or attracts them...may depend on the cat.

Mark, we actually went the opposite way! Our British Shorthair chewed all the corners off our microfiber dining room chairs, and now we have leather ones and he seems to be leaving them alone. Go figure! Hopefully the change in couch will be enough... but you could try double sided tape...it is supposed to deter scratching but may not be something he wants to chew either... also you could try different bitter sprays, apart from bitter apple I've seen bitter cherry and bitter rosemary... and some work better on different cats than others. I've had one cat that Tabasco worked best. Good luck!

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
I don't know how the bitter apple doesn't work. I touch the the couch where I sprayed months ago and if I touch my mouth with my fingers it's just horrible.
He hasn't chewed any new spots in a long time but he does still chews on old ones because of the batting that's coming out. So hopefully it was because he was teething.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Vinegar perhaps? my little guy loves water. He seems to think I'm playing when I squirt water t him to get him to stop scratching furniture or attacking the phone charge cords ( I hide them and he finds them grr) I have a second bottle which I have vinegar water in and accidentally grabbed that once. He HATES it. The bitter apple spray seemed to attract him to the cords more. The hot sauce on cords didnt work either. But spraying with vinegar seems to work quite well

"Those who wander aren't always lost"