Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New kitten in the house

We have a 9 month old female Savannah. She's always been independent and wanting love and attention on her own terms. We brought in a 3 month old male. There great together. You can't ask for better. They play. She gives him a bath. They share thier food bowls and litter boxes. Sleep together. But my problem is she's coming to me less and less. And it worries me. Am I over reacting ?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Three factors are at work Anna. First is that females (not all but some) have a tendency to be more independent. I once had a domestic shorthair female that didn't cuddle with me or even sit near me until she was 5 yrs old. Second she is nearing adulthood. In my experience with my 4 male savannahs, they were cuddly velcro kittens who became less so as they neared 1 yr of age and then slowly became more cuddly between 1 & 2 yrs. Third, she has another cat to share her life with but that doesn't mean she needs or loves you less.

I'm assuming that she's been spayed. If not, spaying her will avoid the hissy queenly moments that living with an intact female entails.

To help ensure that her bond with you is strong, schedule one-on-one cuddle and playtime with her. Hand feed her treats or a few bites from each of her meals. Brush her -- grooming is a way of bonding.

Thank you witchywoman. I do feel better now. And what I noticed after I listed this is while the new 3 month old was sleeping. She came and was her old self. I love my babies and try very hard to show them equil live and attention.