Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New kitten nursing existing cat

LornaJayne

Savannah Super Cat
So about a month and a half ago we got a new f4 Savannah kitten to keep our other f8 (spayed) Savannah girl company (plus we have fallen in love with the breed!) introductions started rocky but ended well and these two will sleep together, clean each other and sometimes play fight too. Leah our first Savannah is 1 year old on Friday and Logan is 4 and a half months old. Early Sunday morning I woke to a strange noise.... Logan was nursing on Leah. Ever since then when he's tired he will go to her to try to suckle on her. Leah for the most past let's him, and will clean him as he's doing it. I must admit I have been trying to stop him as I am afraid it will result in her becoming sore. Has any one else had this? If so what did you do? Thank you.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This is actually not too terribly uncommon and I don't think harmful, so mostly up to you to decide if you want to tolerate the behavior or not. I once had two girls who hadn't seen their mom for six months, but once they recognized her they were back to 'nursing' on her. I didn't interfere and the behavior resolved itself after another couple of months. I also knew a Chesapeake Bay Retriever by the name of Peanut who, although she had never been bred or had puppies herself, allowed kittens to suckle on her, and actually started producing milk! Her owner also allowed the behavior to continue and there were never any adverse outcomes.

LornaJayne

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for your response Patti. In that case I think I will leave it and let them get on with it, it is cute! I must admit, that is now at the back of my mind... Leah has been acting odd the last few days, and not eating like usual. After a vet visit today they found a hard lump on her tummy... x ray showed nothing, she is staying in over night and all I can do is think of the worst case scenarios. She is hardly a year old so I just hope it can be anything serious. Google has made me feel awful too, I must stop googling ..

LornaJayne

Savannah Super Cat
Good news! Leah is back home and currently snuggled up with kitten Logan. After talking to the vet today she said the hard bump that was the size of a brussel sprout has gone, and she's eating and herself again. The vet did say that the scan/x ray showed her intestines had a thicker then normal coating but the vet didn't seem too concerned and let her go home, we just need to keep an eye on her. Also, I think Leah has 'lost her miaow' from crying so much at the vets, first and hopefully last night away from us!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm glad to hear that Leah is back home. Keep a close eye on her eating and litterbox habits, make sure she's back to normal. There are a LOT of things that don't show up on an x-ray but the fact that she's doing better is great news!

LornaJayne

Savannah Super Cat
You are right Patti to recommend that - we are not in the clear as Leah is yet again not eating. My partner took the decision to take to the vets again (I am at work so I am anxious to hear what happens). I will make a new thread about this when I am home to see if anyone has had anything similar. Thanks again for your help!