Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New Savannah F3C parent, long time cat whisperer

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Hi all, I'm new to these parts and on Feb 1, carrying Isis a charcoal (brown) spotted F3C Savannah home with me from Indiana to California! I am overjoyed and hope that my two boys are going to welcome her with as much love as I am.

I have been researching them for a couple of years now and have a solid understanding of what it means to live with a Savannah. It will be a whole other level above what I experienced with my two boys.

Currently, I'm parent to two mixed breed Egyptian Mau/ASH boys named Ra and Anubis born Apr '08. They are both fairly big for their breed at 15lbs (Anubis) and 14lbs (Ra) respectively. Their length, height help them carry it well.

Isis just had her spay last week and passed all of her exams easily. At ~5.5mo old, she's 6.3lbs and just had a bit of a growth spurt. I can't wait to get her on a holistic protein diet with supplement and watch her take off (or not). :)

On to the pics. There will be plenty more when she gets home.

Isis%208B%20sm.jpg
Isis%2012%20sm.jpg
Isis5%20500.jpg
Isis1%20500.jpg
Isis1-2.jpg
Isis5-2.jpg

Here is a picture with her sister -

Isis%20and%20Sister.jpg

Here's a picture of her F2B mother, quite the stunner -

Morianna.jpg

Two pictures of my boys, Ra and Anubis enjoying some quiet time on the 7ft tree -

IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
She looks like a cool-toned brown spotted tabby to me. Unless either of her parents were silver or black smoke she can't be a silver...

Congrats on your girl and welcome to the group!

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Hmm, good question. I think TICA will call her brown (black) like mom. So I was right in what I typed. :p

Looking back through the pedigree as futile as that may be, I'm owing her cool color to the Halili silver grandparents and great-grand parents on the father's side and her melanistic grandfather on mom's side. Mom likely carries for melanistic but not silver.

Halili, Joykatz, Jungletouch, Antioch, and Sunsetbay contributed to the father's gene pool.

Is this going to be as fun as it is for people tracing lineage where it's all done manually one family member at a time?

Sunny

Loyal Servant
My social skills are more developed with felines then people, to the point where I will ignore the latter in the presence of the former and they (both parties) usually pick up on that straight away. I'm a cat magnet and enjoy the training and discipline challenge responding to verbal or non-verbal cues. I've never used food to encourage a behavior, but I might try this with the SV the first time around to see what happens. The flip side to this is I sometimes teach them bad habits and they become more sensitive to what I'm doing, especially if it's about to be something bad like applying Advantage/Frontline. Their sixth sense tingles if I do anything out of the ordinary or out of sequence!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hmm, good question. I think TICA will call her brown (black) like mom. So I was right in what I typed. :p

Looking back through the pedigree as futile as that may be, I'm owing her cool color to the Halili silver grandparents and great-grand parents on the father's side and her melanistic grandfather on mom's side. Mom likely carries for melanistic but not silver.

Halili, Joykatz, Jungletouch, Antioch, and Sunsetbay contributed to the father's gene pool.

Is this going to be as fun as it is for people tracing lineage where it's all done manually one family member at a time?
The cool coloring is not linked to silver. I have no silvers in my program (and it is a dominant gene so if the cat is not silver the gene is just not there)... but I do have cool BSTs. The cool and warm toned BSTs are all genetically the same, the difference is when the rufousing polygenes act on the BST to make it warm and orangey. There may be more polygenes at work with the really charcoal BSTs we see too... people are working on that.

Yes, if the mom's sire is melanistic then mom does carry for solid but your girl may not. Anecdotally it seems to me when we do have the very cool-toned BSTs with black noses we often also have the melanistics (at least in my lines that has been true) so maybe there's something there...the genetics can be fascinating!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome Sunny! Glad you were finally able to post ;)

isis is a beautiful girl and I love your EM mixes as well...you may want tot ry and teach isis some tricks...savannahs are very intelligent and easy to train...sounds like you be be wonderful at training her!