Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New Savannah owner

Akila

Site Supporter
Good Morning all,
I am new to this website, but I have to say what an incredibly informative site! I have a F5 silver female Savannah. Her name is Akila, and she is 4 months old. I am looking for information on how to make my 4 year old Egyptian Mau Kebi stop harassing Akila. You see in April of this year we lost our 9 year old Egyptian Mau Aziza suddenly. Kebi was lost and was constantly looking for Aziza so we reached out to Kebi’s breeder for another Mau kitten, because Kebi is such a wonderful animal. The breeder didn’t have an Mau’s, but had Savannah kittens. Without knowing much about the breed we purchased our Akila. She is an absolute joy! My problem is Kebi has gone from a loving gentle animal to terrorizing this kitten. I think I introduced them correctly, very slowly which is the same way I introduce all of our kittens to each other, without incident. I have separated them and tried reintroducing again, slowly. Kebi is just not accepting her, and Akila is so terrified of Kebi that every time Kebi even walks by her she cowers . My heart is breaking for both of my furry girls and I don’t know what to do?

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
Hello and welcome ...

first of all ... sorry for the loss of Aziza ...
and it is sad to hear that the new Savannah Kitten Akila isn't accepted by Kebi yet.

Hopefully you find here some good advice to get along with the situation that the two will get better friends.

Can you give some more datails how long do you have Akila and what have you tried before to get them introduced.
In which way is Kebi harrassing an terrorizing Akila ? Has Kebi harmed Akila by biting or scratching or is it just hissing and growling ? More behavior details would help to analyze whats going wrong between them ...
How old was Akila as she arrived in your home ?

---

As I got my 18 month F1 Savannah girl Nabila she had to arrange with 2 DSH red Tabby girls (2 and 4 years / mum and daughter)
after the quarantine - they needed about 3 weeks of making clear who the boss is - ranking behavior - there where also hissing and growling situations - the oldest DSH was in Ninja-Cat style her daugther arranged pretty fast with the Savannah.

But after about 3-4 weeks all was cleared - cat girls are more problematic with ranking than terretorial ... so if this is not written into stone the girls will having an issue with eachother.

I was just let them arrange the ranking - i did not interfear - what i only did - i let all rooms open so that there was enough space for hiding / taking a break of confrontation / i was giving all 3 the same attention - i never preferred one more or less and after one month it began to get better and better - now 1.5 years later the 3 are in best harmony. They play together they accept eachother - sometimes ther are some small light arguments - but nothing to worry :)

So maybe you have now an competitor issue that Kebi and Akila have not arranged who will be lead the ranking ...
Have you given both always the same attention ? in which way do you react when Kebi is terrifing Akila - do you ignore the situation and let them argue that out - or do you interfere ?

As long as there is no biting or scratching involved and none of them gets hurt you should try not to interfere - as long you go between them is nothing cleared between them and the arrangement you wish to achieve will take longer and longer. For sure it is stress for Akila - but does she have enough room to move away from Kebi to a safe distance - is she able to jump on a cat tree or furniture to be on another level to watch and feel safe ? does she have a favorite room where Kebi isn't that often ?

I know it is heartbreaking to see that 2 cats are having problems by accepting eachother - but they need to get this done by their own you only can support.

It would be great when you can describe just more what else you have tried before - step by step and maybe you'll get some more tips and help ...

best cat wishes ...

Akila

Site Supporter
Thank you for responding There is no biting or scratching, only hissing and chasing. We live in a townhouse so there is plenty of room for Akila to get away from Kebi. All room doors are open. We got Akila about 5 weeks ago and I had her in her own room for a little over 2 weeks.....when they were playing ( I thought) under the door I started to let Akila out little by little. Akila was 12 weeks old when I picked her up.

Oh boy, in reading through your post I have been doing everything wrong. I have been interfering. I have been chastising Kebi and telling her to leave Akila alone, which I have never had to chastise Kebi for anything in the past☹️. I have never had this problem introducing cats before.I have been trying to treat them equally, but I find myself defending the kitten.

I am just afraid that even if, and when Kebi accepts Akila, Akila will always be skittish around her.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Hello, welcome! Sorry for the loss of your Aziza, it's hard enough to lose them without it being sudden.

I would try reassuring Kebi that she isn't being replaced, and give her extra attention. Also, playing with them together could help Kebi see Akila in a more positive light - try getting two of the same wand toy and using one in each hand to keep them "separately together". Last thing - if they are left home alone while you are at work, I'd separate the kitten during the day until you are sure one cat isn't antagonizing the other, or until the relationship is more stable. They will work it out, eventually!

Do you have pictures of your ladies to share with us? ;)

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for responding There is no biting or scratching, only hissing and chasing. We live in a townhouse so there is plenty of room for Akila to get away from Kebi. All room doors are open. We got Akila about 5 weeks ago and I had her in her own room for a little over 2 weeks.....when they were playing ( I thought) under the door I started to let Akila out little by little. Akila was 12 weeks old when I picked her up.

Oh boy, in reading through your post I have been doing everything wrong. I have been interfering. I have been chastising Kebi and telling her to leave Akila alone, which I have never had to chastise Kebi for anything in the past☹️. I have never had this problem introducing cats before.I have been trying to treat them equally, but I find myself defending the kitten.

I am just afraid that even if, and when Kebi accepts Akila, Akila will always be skittish around her.
---

You haven't done everything wrong ... first of all - bringing together a older cat with a young tropical playstorm is always not that easy - one will play all the time - the other feels more like don't bother me i prefer relaxing time.

I got the same issue between my male DSH Garfield he's over 11 years old - and he gets panic when tall Nabila jumps at him ... getting better but he always hisses when it is too much for him ... but there is no harm ever - so then the only thing i'm gonna say is with calm voice "be gentle/lovely together" and when they hear my calming voice it's getting better ... just to give confidence to all ...

As Ninja mentioned - reassure Kebi that she is also a beloved family - member and will get all the same attention as ever.
So you got Akila about 5 weeks and is introducing to Kebi more or less about 3 weeks - that is fresh, they need and take their time. The positive thing is no harm - no biting no scratching - i'm confident that they will arrange in their Speed, try to spend time with both together by animating playing with both at the same time - the will concentrate more on the toy than to eachother - but they get closer and you can see best in first person how they react. When you are showing confidence and beeing quite and calm even when they are hissing or chasing around try with soft voice and lovely calming talking without chastise any of both will help a lot i think.

As long as they not harm eachother - the ship is not sunken yet :)

Bringing together cats is every time new cause any cat has ist own charakter - but it is also an interesting task for us humans.

Did Akila have a confident relationship build up to you yet ? Did you have the feeling she bonded with you in the last 5 weeks to feel secure around you ? Or is she also a bit shy to you when Kebi is not around ?

I think you have to keep calm & cool and let them check out themselves - i know it's hard to try ignoring hisses or not to interfere but as long as they are not showing signs of hard attacking everthing will get right by the time.

My 3 have also playtime by chasing eachother with arguing sounds like ninja-yelling and if it is too much you can hear one hissing ... but after that in the next minute they are grooming eachother's head and be best friends forever. But it took about staying together over 4 weeks with me permanently at home (i wasn't working during that time / in holiday ) after 6 weeks i was sure that they get ok together and the relationship was so far stable but not perfect - after about 3 month together everything was clear between them and is in that harmony stable till now.

Some pictures would be nice and keep us informed :)

Akila

Site Supporter
I also am home with them most of the time and yes Akila has bonded with me. I am able to hold her, trim her nails..... Although she reals doesn’t like to be picked up. She has to come to me on her terms.

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
They are both really nice girls ... i like Akila's black nose :) she is pretty ....

My Savannah Nabila is also not happy to be picked up ... but she follows me like my own shadow so ... there is no need to - and 7.35kg (~16lbs) is quite a number of weight - it is not funny to hold ... an the body length is difficult too to hold or pick up :)

When Akila bonded with you, it is a great advantage - so you can help to balance between them by showing presence and interaction with both by playing a lot in a trio. Try to focus their interest at you - if you are around both of them should have a save feeling cause of knowing and trusting you.

How about treats ? have you tried if both like a sort of treats ? so to try giving them treats out of the hands - that they eat some goodies together at the same time ? one on the right hand the other on the left hand ... then you can get them closer - each day a bit more ?

Akila

Site Supporter
They won’t eat treats, I have tried....though Kebi will eat next to Akila and even let Akila eat out of her bowl. I guess that is why I am so confused. I always thought they were more territorial over their food. And if I’m confused I can only imagine how confused this kitten is. I’m a patient person so I am praying that time will take care of this.

Manu+Horde

Savannah Super Cat
When there is this behavior by the food bowl ... it is just fine that they don't have an issue by sharing - im confident that they will acclimatize to each other.
But really ? - none of your girls like something like treats ? Lina my smallest DSH is also very picky - only wet food and day old baby chicken anything dry completly NO but i found out she likes freeze-dried meat or fish for cats as treats ... anything else - no chance :) but i found something ... have you tried some freeze-dried things yet ? If not maybe ... give it a try :)

You must also see your Savannah is a pretty little young girl kitten - and she is still in learning progress - it takes about 3 years till a Savannah is fully grown up - so she will learn how to get along with the egyptian mau.

- terretorial over their food - yes and no - small Lina defends only her one day old baby chicken against -> me if i try to come too close - she protect her prey - growls and hisses at me ... and she would scratch and bite me if i do not give up to steal her day old baby chicken ... but at the bowl ... Lina and Nabila together nose on nose - there is no problem by sharing ...

So this should not confuse ... but i think it is also a good sign ...