Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New to feeding Savannahs-F5 SBT kitten food help

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
Hello,
My bf and I just bought a f5 kitten named Thor. He is still with the breeder as we are moving to a new home. The breeder said she uses Royal Canin kitten food, although I was reading the ingredients and it seems to have corn in it, which I read you should avoid. I have been looking at other brands, Innova, Blue Wilderness, some natural brand, Taste of Wild, etc, and my head is spinning from trying to read ingredients, reviews, etc. We are picking up Thor next week, and I think we've decided to wein him off of the Royal Canin but not sure onto what yet. Can someone please help us figure out the best choice. Thank you!!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
You can find all different ideas on the net. My vet swears by Royal Cainin and says it is ( in her opinion ) the best commercial cat food, as it is VERY high in Taurine, and other essential vitamines. My F5 SBT girl loves it. She started on Canned kitten instinctive when she was under a year, and is now on the canned adult Instinctive. She is growning still at 13 months of age. My F3C 3 yr old girl eats it too. Both also eat Taste Of The Wild kibble.
Anyway, That is MY opinion and how I am feeding my babies. Others will have differing opinions, I am sure.

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
Ok thank you, ill look into the Instinctive for the wet food! After more research into ingredients and nutrition I decided to try Orijen kibble, they have more protein, more taurine, and all fresh products with no grain/corn, even though its quite a price hike. We will give it a try, and see how he likes it!

admin

Paige
Staff member
So I feed raw and whole prey, but also feed Proplan kitten food and Natural Balance Catatouille, which my kittens were addicted to as well as my Taj...mine will not eat RC kitten food, although Zuri, who is my queen, is pregnant and eats Mom and babycat RC dry food...

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
It all depends on the kitten. All have different preferences. I am sure any good quality food is sufficient. Kilifi is not fond of raw. So go figure. LOL

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I feed my cats Taste of the Wild kibble but the kittens are weaned onto Royal Canin BabyCat...I've had the best success with that as kitten kibble and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" especially when it comes to kittens. They also get the RC BabyCat canned food and then raw ground chicken or rabbit (although I have had an issue in the past with rabbit with the bone content with one kitten and so prefer it for my adults over the babies).

As a commercial food, I think Royal Canin is one of the only ones that still does good research into improving its diets and cats do well on it. But like you, the corn content is disturbing and not something I really like.

I would caution you of course to start your kitten in your home on the same food the breeder is feeding... start making your changes at least a week after the kitten is in your home. There's enough stress to its system just changing the home. Then slowly transition to whatever diet you choose to avoid any problems :)

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Fully agree with Brigette...while you may have to try several different brands to find out what your kitty likes (and has the quality ingredients you want), do not change the diet at all for the first couple of weeks.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, I think sometimes their diet ends up a compromise between what you think is best for them and what they will eat...some can be fussy lil brats!