Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New To Owning Cats (let alone a savannah)

feedtheflame

Savannah Super Cat
does anyone know of a good website or book that tells you how to train a cat properly? all of this is so new to me and my savannah is definitly proving to be high maintence, lol. I need to get started training him properly before i give him bad habits.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
does anyone know of a good website or book that tells you how to train a cat properly? all of this is so new to me and my savannah is definitly proving to be high maintence, lol. I need to get started training him properly before i give him bad habits.
I picked up a magazine today called "Kittens USA" from Petsmart, or was it Petco, I never remember which one I have been to. A lot of good information about kittens. Also, a lot of misinformation in the book as well or incomplete information.

Read everything on this website. Before asking a question use the search tool. The search tool is your friend.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Matt has a very good suggestion; you will find a ton of great info here on the forum :)

Have you asked the breeder your kitten came from any questions/concerns you are having? Most breeders are more than willing to answer questions and help you get started on the right foot with your kitten (or cat).
I like this book for new kitten owners called "Kittens for Dummies". I thought it had a lot of good, basic info for the new owner with little or no experience. You can find it on Ebay very reasonably:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=kittens+for+dummies+book&_sop=15

John Popp

Site Supporter
Remember, that you don't train a cat, you negotiate with them.

With having pets and lots of cats through my life, I can say what I've learned from this forum in the last year is exponentially greater than what I have learned previously. Paige, Trish and Brigitte are awesome with having lots of insight and one of the other moderators, Deborah, not so much, but at least she makes you laugh. I couldn't have made it through my ordeal with our kitten without their help, and of course Deborah making me laugh when I was feeling pretty beat down.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I guess it's a right of passage for new members to find out that Deb, Rascal and I have an affinity for a couple cocktails. Still trying to get through my first cup of coffee this morning however, and thus far a cocktail isn't on the agenda. That can change in a heartbeat though.

Oh and BTW, those Limarita things you mentioned are following me everywhere I go on the web, although I'm totally unsure if I could drink a Margarita from a can.

I guess it's a right of passage for new members to find out that Deb, Rascal and I have an affinity for a couple cocktails. Still trying to get through my first cup of coffee this morning however, and thus far a cocktail isn't on the agenda. That can change in a heartbeat though.

Oh and BTW, those Limarita things you mentioned are following me everywhere I go on the web, although I'm totally unsure if I could drink a Margarita from a can.
Oh- you can and you will... You will...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Perhaps if my younger cousins bring some to the beach on the family vacation, which is a distinct possibility with all the advertising surrounding the product. They are definitely still young enough to be quantity purchasers of alcohol, despite always shaking a glass in front of me and asking me to make them a cocktail. I guess that's my calling on vacation, to be their Sushi Chef and Bartender.