Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

No appetite

MM3

Site Supporter
First may I say hello everyone. Been gone dealing with personal challenges.
Again , I am challenged with my sweet fur baby the picky eater.
Right now she is eating a small small amount of dry fussie cat salmon and chicken.
She then wouldn’t eat that so ordered a different flavor to rotate salmon. That worked for a few days. She’s eating enough to possibly keep a bird alive.
* tried sooooooo many different foods ...... likes none
* warmed them thought she didn’t cold food
* suggestions of baby food just to get salivating started .... would not touch it
She is still engaging, playful, enjoys walks outside not lethargic
I do give her good treats( no filler or garbage ingredients) those she’ll eat. I do this to attempt to get salivary glads going. Sometimes it works and I can get her to eat a small amount of food. But most times she just wants the treats.
No weight loss
* vet checked her out.
- teeth good
- blood work excellent
- fecal panels all negative
* urine elimination good
* BM’s good form
* no vomiting
Vet gave her cerenia. It was working great.
Then Emma began to have a different behavior.
Becoming very very needy and very loud constant vocal and drinking ALOT of water constantly. So I looked up side effects and stopped the medication immediately.
So through all that back at square one.
Wondering if anyone has had this experience, would love to know. Thank you in advance

admin

Paige
Staff member
Often picky eaters have IBD. Has your vet done any bloodwork? Urine analysts? Kidney disease and IBD are the two things that come to mind. Didi you speak to your vet about discontinuing the cerenia? My Cisco is on cerenia, metronidazole and both have now allowed him to eat more. They are also now using Atopica for IBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Aside from the vet stuff mentioned above, you might try sprinkling a treat on top of whatever you want her to eat. We have one picky eater, I use a small hole cheese grater to add tastiness with some freeze dried meat (duck liver is a big hit), or smoked mackerel flakes, and viola - clean plate 90% of the time.

MM3

Site Supporter
Often picky eaters have IBD. Has your vet done any bloodwork? Urine analysts? Kidney disease and IBD are the two things that come to mind. Didi you speak to your vet about discontinuing the cerenia? My Cisco is on cerenia, metronidazole and both have now allowed him to eat more. They are also now using Atopica for IBD.

After reading the side effects I quit the medication. But you say your giving it on a regular basis? Full blood work was done. Results were excellent. Emma Mae was also on metronidazole and those side effects were so scarey. What are your thoughts ?

MM3

Site Supporter
Aside from the vet stuff mentioned above, you might try sprinkling a treat on top of whatever you want her to eat. We have one picky eater, I use a small hole cheese grater to add tastiness with some freeze dried meat (duck liver is a big hit), or smoked mackerel flakes, and viola - clean plate 90% of the time.
I’ve tried the flakes and freeze dried duck( not liver) and neither worked. Thank you for your reply.

Akila

Site Supporter
I have a very picky eater also.....Akila will not eat kibble at all, but I still leave some out in case she gets curious and wants to try it. I have started putting boiled chicken on top of her food and she really likes that.

Good luck..picky eaters are challenging!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
All meds have side effects... You have to weigh the good with the bad. I am giving the medication.

David Z

Site Supporter
Do you have a copy of the blood work?
Does Emma act funny when she does eat a little bit?
Had a similar situation with my late Bengal Nermal.
Please try to weigh her everyday at same time, too make sure she's not losing weight and consider the medication, it's very serious when our furry kids don't eat.

MM3

Site Supporter
I have a very picky eater also.....Akila will not eat kibble at all, but I still leave some out in case she gets curious and wants to try it. I have started putting boiled chicken on top of her food and she really likes that.

Thank you! I’ve made chicken for her and homemade gravy. She loves gravy. And she would not eat it. Yes a challenge indeed.

MM3

Site Supporter

I do the same...it’s available if she does get hungry or curious. Thanks for your input.