Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

NORMAL???:/

Mayghann Gallagher

Miss Mayghann J. Gallagher
Hi there everyone! I recently brought home 2 Savannah kittens. There F2 babies and amazing! My male is 10 weeks and his name is Diesel and my female is 8 weeks and her name is Zuri. They were flown from LAX on July 27th. Now my issue is this: with all the research I've done, most owners say that there kitten bonds and attaches to them almost instantly. Now maybe mine are just different, but there still to today not very close to me. They will let me pet them and hold them a little bit, but definitely aren't extremely close to me. I'm very worried that there not gonna love me even when there older. Can someone give me some advice:)?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hi Mayghann, and welcome!

How long have you had these babies? I have to say that in my opinion that is very very young to be flying cargo so it does not surprise me to think that they might be a little traumatized. I don't let my kittens leave home until 12 weeks old at a minimum...did they come from the same breeder and were they already introduced to each other? How did you introduce them to your house and you?

Medesha

Savannah Super Cat
If you just got them recently, it will take time for them to adjust. Think about it, they were just removed from a familiar place to and unfamiliar one with unfamiliar people. Also, did you confine the kittens to a small room once you brought them home? If you let them have the run of the house right away, they'll feel overwhelmed, which is why you should put them in a small room for a while until they get used to you.

When you spend time with them, you should have a few treats and toys, and if they're not up to playing, just try reading a book aloud so they get used to your voice. They'll soon see that you're their new parent and the bond will come naturally!

Mayghann Gallagher

Miss Mayghann J. Gallagher
Thank you! They arrived at my home on July 27th. I will say they had quite the adventure. They were on 2 lay overs and there flight was delayed. I have kept them confined in one room which is my bedroom so they know where they will call home. I did buy them from the same breeder who I just love. She has been very supportive and helpful, but I just thought it was time for me to reach out to others who maybe had the same issue. I also will say that they HATE water and I only figured that out due to them needing a bath after a horrible diarreha incident! I just feel like a horrible "mom" and I want to be the best savannah mom in the world! I love them so very very much already and just worry. Thank you all do very much!!!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your major obstacle is that these kittens are already bonded to each other so they really have no reason to bond to you. If it is at all possible you might want to consider separating them for a week or two so that you are the only one interacting with them. I don't know how you're feeding them but you should make yourself the primary food source, in other words don't leave food out for them to graze on all day long, they should only be able to eat when you bring food to them.

Be sure to set aside specific times where you will play with them one-on-one, e.g., 20 minutes 2-3 times a day. Try to keep the times consistent (they like routine) and make sure it is just you and the one kitten. Even if you can't physically separate them long term I would separate them for their play time so that they know that is their special time just with you. You can try special treats during this time as well (freeze dried chicken is a huge favorite over here) or even consider clicker training them.

As long as they have each other they will have no reason to develop a strong bond with you, so however you want to work it out, it will be up to you to create the situation and opportunity for them to bond with you.

They are babies and came to you way too young, that is probably a big part of the problem, but that can be overcome. All cats react differently to a new home. Some hide and others immediately bond with their owners and come right out. I think continuing to play with them and also giving them treats is the way to go. Also, keep in mind that a cat may bond to you but never be a lap cat. I have an F2 male that was born here, raised by me and he loves me, but I cannot pet him. On the other hand his brother is a complete lap cat. It's just a difference in cats. You may notice as they get older and more confident in themselves they will be more affectionate with you as well. One of the reasons I never send my kittens earlier than 12 weeks and try to send them at 16 weeks is that allows them to mentally mature and get some cat confidence going before they go to their new families. Give them time, keep doing what you are doing, and I think you will be okay.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Mayghann,
Remember me?
You reserved an F6 kitten and "said" that you had sent a deposit and then a pay pal a week later, then would not reply to me thereafter. I would have been happy to refer you to another reputable breeder for an F2 if that is what you really wanted?
I am concerned where you got these kittens from if they are placing them at such a young age.
However, I think now that you have them, separating them and spending time individually would be warranted now. Your kitten here was really sweet and affectionate and did find a special home in good time :)

I have two F2's as well, both male. I got them at separate times and each went through a 2 week quarantine when they first arrived where each was only in contact with myself, and later my children. Strangely enough, Abu is the most strongly bonded to me even though I got him second. Though he loves his food and I'm his only source so it's no wonder there is such a strong tie LOL. I play with each daily and spend as much time with each that I can.

As the very wise breeder who sold me Abu said to me when asked about bonding and wether the cats will bond together stronger than with me. "Your bond with your cats will wax and wane over time, but you will still have a strong bond with each" I have found this to be the case, and I don't worry overy too much about it. I purchased Abu for a companion for the Zues, so I don't mind sharing the each cat's bond with the other.

I would follow the advice suggested by the others, separate them and spend as much time as you can with each to help strengthen your bond with them individually. Make sure that your the only one that feeds them and in time I think you will find yourself in a similiar situation as I.

These guys have enough love to share with you, each other and anyone else that you may have in your family =).

Enjoy your new kitties !!! =)

I have two F2's as well, both male. I got them at separate times and each went through a 2 week quarantine when they first arrived where each was only in contact with myself, and later my children. Strangely enough, Abu is the most strongly bonded to me even though I got him second. Though he loves his food and I'm his only source so it's no wonder there is such a strong tie LOL. I play with each daily and spend as much time with each that I can.

As the very wise breeder who sold me Abu said to me when asked about bonding and wether the cats will bond together stronger than with me. "Your bond with your cats will wax and wane over time, but you will still have a strong bond with each" I have found this to be the case, and I don't worry overy too much about it. I purchased Abu for a companion for the Zues, so I don't mind sharing the each cat's bond with the other.

I would follow the advice suggested by the others, separate them and spend as much time as you can with each to help strengthen your bond with them individually. Make sure that your the only one that feeds them and in time I think you will find yourself in a similiar situation as I.

These guys have enough love to share with you, each other and anyone else that you may have in your family =).

Enjoy your new kitties !!! =)
Awww, you have a good breeder, Rob! ;)