Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Nose is always wet

missyhmg

Savannah Super Cat
I have a F2 Male who is 8 months old and about 75% of the time his nose is wet. It's always been this way since we got him. He doesn't sneeze, act sick or anything. Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe a Serval trait? Here's a picture to show what I mean. IMG_3156.JPG

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Have you ever had the vet take a swab for a respiratory panel PCR test? That would rule out Herpes which is relatively common and can cause a watery discharge which will vary in severity with the individual situation.

You could try a lysine supplement and see if it affects it...but if it doesn't really impact his health or appetite then I wouldn't worry too much.

missyhmg

Savannah Super Cat
Have you ever had the vet take a swab for a respiratory panel PCR test? That would rule out Herpes which is relatively common and can cause a watery discharge which will vary in severity with the individual situation.

You could try a lysine supplement and see if it affects it...but if it doesn't really impact his health or appetite then I wouldn't worry too much.
He doesn't have any discharge at all coming out of his nose or eyes and no sneezing etc. Its just the top of his nose that is damp. If you look at the picture I posted you will see the dampness on top of his nose.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's hard to see from a photo whether that liquid is coming from a discharge he is continually wiping away or from water when he's lapping from a bowl...or if you have a fountain he's sticking his head under the water flow?

When a cat has herpes virus it isn't always overtly sick. We can have sub-clinical infections, mild infections or really bad infections... just like us humans where we don't always get the flu or get a mild one or a really bad one...

missyhmg

Savannah Super Cat
I know what it looks like when a cat has herpes because I use to have a cat that had herpes. The best way to describe this is imagine a cat that has a normal damp cold nose and that dampness travels up his nose. The darkness you see in the picture on his nose is what it looks like when it is damp. It's crazy. It's like he has a over active damp nose and again never discharge or dripping or anything like that, the dampness travels up the bridge of the nose. I don't know. I guess i'll mention it to the vet next time Ez goes in.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm afraid I don't see anything wet on his nose in this picture - or are you talking about his nose bridge?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Okay, so that is weird - you don't see him licking his nose bridge? I have no idea why that would always be wet...

missyhmg

Savannah Super Cat
No I don't. It's really wet when he's really active which is about 75% of the time but when he's laying down or asleep it's dry. It's the strangest thing. Iv'e had cats all my life and I'm 40. Ive' never had a cat like this but this is my first Savannah. I've had many cats but mostly Siamese and I'm very aware of herpes in cats, this is not herpes. I'm not worried or anything but just curious why his nose gets so damp. Ezra doesn't cough, sneeze nor does his nose run or his eyes. Everything is normal about him except his nose gets really damp above his nose ( his bridge). I thought maybe it was a Serval trait.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like he was born with anomalous sweat glands on his nose!!! :roflmao:
Definitely not a serval trait. Have you ever asked your vet about it?