Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Not burying poop in pine pellets?

M

MARS

Hi all! Mars our 12 week old F4 kitten has been great at using his litter box with pine pellets, but he doesn't bury his poop... after going, he will scratch the top of the litter box walls but never at the pellets to bury his business. To anyone with experience using pine pellets, is this normal behavior?

Because he doesn't bury it, if we don't supervise and carry him out of the box quick enough, Mars can be clumsy and step on his poop while moving around and we have to wash his feet D:

John Popp

Site Supporter
Are pine pellets what he used at the breeder and if not I'd go back to what they are using with a transition period of 10 days or so.

I'd also avoid scooting him out of the box as you don't want him to think that's the appropriate behavior. He's not enjoying having poop on his paws either, so it will play itself out pretty quickly. Also, any time I've had a cat doing a lot of covering at the top edge of the box without throwing litter it was resolved by a taller deeper litter box, change of litter type or simply letting me know that the clean enough for their standards.

BTW, welcome and love Mars' black nose!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are many cats (not just Savannahs) that don't bother burying their poop. You can try changing litter or getting a deeper litter box (e.g., a Sterlite storage bin) as John suggested, but if Mars is not prone to burying, a change of litter or litterbox won't change that.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Even my British Shorthair doesn't bother burying his poop...as Patti says, many cats don't bury. It may not be the litter. But for my mind, it is easier to scoop poops if they don't bury them...they are easy to find and get rid of asap!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki will bury her hind legs completely in litter but not necessarily her pooh. Fortunately Jammu is very good at this and often does it for her.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I think the operative thing here is digging at the top of the box after defecating, suggesting there is a want to cover it up and something else is broke in the equation.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I used to have a cat that would dig and dig a huge hole in the litter in the middle of the box, then put her front feet in that hole, her butt would then stick upwards and she'd poop over the edge of the box. No idea how she developed that habit... and then she'd cover in the hole...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Yeah Brigitte, we had a cat that would do the same and there would always be this mad rush to center her in the box. "She's gonna miss, she's gonna miss she's gonna miss!" Sometimes we'd have success and other times it was just head straight for the paper towels and wipes.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
A high sided box helped with that cat, as she wasn't very large...but for a while I was trying to catch her using the box because I knew she was pooping outside but it was so close to the box I was confused about why... just made me laugh when I finally caught her in the act :)

Mars_F4

Savannah Adult
Omg, thank you for the really great and some hilarious stories/ feedback everyone! (Sorry for the delayed reply, I was having some password issues with my prior account and decided to create a new one.)

Looks like Mars just isn't the poop-burying type, and yes, it's been really easy to see and clean out the poop without letting it sit there long :)

Definitely will look into getting a taller box when Mars grows taller and starts missing out of the box!

I'd love to hear more funny poop stories, these here just made my day!