Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Not eating whole prey.

So it's been tough figuring out my baby boy's eating preferences, but we're getting there. My one hiccup is that I still can't get the little monster to eat whole prey. I try with mice regularly, and have offered a chick or two (although not for a week or so), and the most I get is about 10 minutes of play time..and some head chewing, then he leaves it.

I'm trying with small white fuzzies, although I've tried dark mice too.

So far, I've tried cutting up the mouse and adding it to his raw turkey, I've gotten two pieces eaten.. but that's it. I've also tried soaking it in some tuna juice, to no avail (aside from a bit of a mess).

If Loki doesn't like it, no biggie, and maybe he'll grow into it. I am just wondering if anyone encountered similar issues, and if so, any tricks you may suggest?

Thanks so much for all your advice!

best,

Herman

admin

Paige
Staff member
Herman, I would not worry about it...he may be too young yet, so you might want to wait...mine mainly like the one day old quail...but I did not start feeding the kittens until a short while ago at 7 months and Zuri, their mom at about a year...

Herman, I would not worry about it...he may be too young yet, so you might want to wait...mine mainly like the one day old quail...but I did not start feeding the kittens until a short while ago at 7 months and Zuri, their mom at about a year...
Aw! Thanks Paige. I was hoping that. I was just getting anxious because I was concerned he wasnt getting much calcium, but luckily he doesnt mind kitty bloom and he finally started eating some canned in between raw which has put me at ease.

Thanks for the quick response!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Aw! Thanks Paige. I was hoping that. I was just getting anxious because I was concerned he wasnt getting much calcium, but luckily he doesnt mind kitty bloom and he finally started eating some canned in between raw which has put me at ease.

Thanks for the quick response!
No problem, Herman...he will not get any calcium from those small prey anyway...small prey only have cartilage, not bones...

No problem, Herman...he will not get any calcium from those small prey anyway...small prey only have cartilage, not bones...
That's good to know! I guess I'll just wait a while before I offer again, and if he ever takes it, I'll just get some larger feeders.

Thanks again!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Or...you can do what I do and give them as a treat, so to speak...I have researched the whole prey model to death because Zuri would only eat one day old quail if I let her...or chicks...that would be fine is they were adult...then the proper nutrients would come into play. But I have spoken to rodentpro and other whole prey companies and learned that the small prey pretty much have NO nutritional value for felines, so I am sure ot make sure they eat raw or canned along with it.

Hope this helps ;)

Or...you can do what I do and give them as a treat, so to speak...I have researched the whole prey model to death because Zuri would only eat one day old quail if I let her...or chicks...that would be fine is they were adult...then the proper nutrients would come into play. But I have spoken to rodentpro and other whole prey companies and learned that the small prey pretty much have NO nutritional value for felines, so I am sure ot make sure they eat raw or canned along with it.

Hope this helps ;)
That is EXACTLY what we hoped to do. Just give him whole prey in conjunction to the raw and canned he already eats.

This helps a TON! He has about 300 "treats" in the freezer now. Hopefully he starts liking them soon lol.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Herman....I wouldn't stop giving him the prey even if he doesn't eat it all or at all. Keep offering it to him along with whatever else you are feeding him and see if he acquires a taste for prey as he matures. That way, you won't have to transition him or worry about introducing whole prey at a later date. He's either going to like it or he won't. Their sense of smell and taste matures like our does. It could be that he doesn't recognize the prey as food yet either because of it's smell or taste.

Herman....I wouldn't stop giving him the prey even if he doesn't eat it all or at all. Keep offering it to him along with whatever else you are feeding him and see if he acquires a taste for prey as he matures. That way, you won't have to transition him or worry about introducing whole prey at a later date. He's either going to like it or he won't. Their sense of smell and taste matures like our does. It could be that he doesn't recognize the prey as food yet either because of it's smell or taste.
Thanks Ms. Deborah! So after his lunch I offered him a chick and he really took to it, I think he would have gone further had he not just ate. So thanks for the reassurance! Ill keep offering daily. Even if he doesnt like it not much I can do with them, not like im eating them haha.

Thanks!