Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Not to offend- what is the reason to show your cat?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Do only breeders participate in showing pets? What are the benefits of showing? if Joe Shmoe wants to participate what is in it for him compared to a breeder: I don't mean to step on any toes. I've just always been curious as to why aside from educating the public about savannah cats

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yes, there are people who show who are not breeders. There are also those who breed (and show) one particular breed but show other breeds as well. Education is one reason to show, but that is more important with the new breeds than with the championship breeds.

Showing is basically a competition. Every breed has a written standard, the purpose of showing is to determine which is the best Savannah, and how the best Savannah hold up against other championship breeds. Anyone can throw two savannahs together and register the kittens as Savannahs regardless of what they look like, however, if you are a breeder whose cats have earned championship titles then your kittens might be considered more valuable, and most assuredly have looks that are consistent, or at least close to the written standard. If you are not a breeder there is still reward in being recognized for owning a Savannah who has won championship titles.

Hopefully, those breeders who show and do not earn titles will take a closer look at their cats, figure out what is lacking, and make changes to improve their lines in order to come closer to the standard. So it is also a learning process for breeders as well. The competition can be addicting however, so even those who are not breeding may still campaign their cats in order to win titles.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I know it is very important in the breeding world because it showcases your work. And helps your critique a little further. It's like an art show of sorts for a breeder. I completely understand that. I've always wanted to go to a show and spectate it looks interesting. but I didn't know why normal owners would participate for more than bragging rights or as a favor of the breeder. Obviously champion lines are great. My Lokis grandmother has won a couple awards. but I didn't know if it was for fun, for money, or just for the art of the breed. although I do thing savannah cats should be shown to friends family the public if it weren't for people spreading the word for how great Savannah's are we wouldn't be able to keep them. but you can't just take your cat to a show unless they are showing and competing. So the only way to make a difference is to compete right?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
My lop bun And her brother won 1st and 2nd place at the fair. Is that the same sort of thing? The breeder I got her from said he could give paperwork if I wanted to continue showing her. But I just assumed that was added stress.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
No, you can't take a cat to a show unless the cat is entered for competition. There are some instances where a cat might be sold with the condition that it would be shown a certain number of times, however, I would never encourage an owner to enter a cat that was not show quality. Just because you have the right code to be able to show does not make that cat show quality...

I'm really not familiar with fairs so can't really comment on whether it's equivalent or not.

Trish Allearz

Because it's fun?

Because it's a community of cat lovers and goodness gracious-- look at Facebook, cat lovers love being together?

Because it's the one time you can really take your cat out and show him or her off? Let's face it-- we don't have cat parks to take our cats out to and sit and chat with fellow cat owners.

There are plenty of people who show alters that either do not breed or do not breed the alter breed they are showing. Household pets are shown. I've shown my old man who has one eye-- and he's placed first in a household pet final. I've shown our curly earred girl-- she is an alter as well-- she's done exceptionally well. And of course, I supremed my Selkirk Rex as an alter. We neutered him at less than 2 years so we obviously weren't planning to breed him.

It's just like anything else-- a community of likeminded people and if you keep your mind open, pretty darn fun. If you get too caught up in the competition IMHO-- you are going to get pissed off more than it's worth (it's very subjective-- like art as you say-- even with a standard) so if you go, go with a lightheart, meet awesome people, and enjoy sharing your cat and theirs.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Agree with Trish...you don't need to look at FB to see cat lovers like to be together...look here and you will see the same thing...

right now I am showing Orion...he went to his new home and I am still showing him as per my contract...why? He is awesome to show, I like seeing some of the people I have met at cat shows who are outside the savannah world and often it is fun!

I have shown Cinny in household pets, since she is cinnamon-spotted and not show eligible...so yes, it is a competition and yes, it is often political, meaning it is sometimes who you know that determines if your cat will win, but all in all I enjoy it.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I used to show model horses. I don't any more due to time constraints, but when I did, I did it with my best friend and we did it because we thought it was fun. :)

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I think its different with buns @Bekki ...with buns I think you leave them at the fair for the weekend. They are put up in a class that isn't necessarily breed specific, and the owner doesn't really have much to do with the whole thing. I think you get judged at the end of the weekend for your class...I could be mistaken (a friend of mine shows her bun)

I think it would be fun to show an alter...except a) Zeddie is a psycho maniac b) we don't really have many cat shows here

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think its different with buns @Bekki ...with buns I think you leave them at the fair for the weekend. They are put up in a class that isn't necessarily breed specific, and the owner doesn't really have much to do with the whole thing. I think you get judged at the end of the weekend for your class...I could be mistaken (a friend of mine shows her bun)

I think it would be fun to show an alter...except a) Zeddie is a psycho maniac b) we don't really have many cat shows here

Kristin, where are you again?