Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Olive is a teenager

Eixi Olive

Savannah Super Cat
Oh my!
My babe Olive is keeping me so busy! Immediately after I got her I thought, “...sure I could handle a Serval/ F1 Savannah”

Wow, how wrong could I have been. Olive has brought unbelievable joie d’vie to our existence. And extreme stress because of her curiosity and athletic ability!

She is a parkor expert. She scaled a wall and entire window today form a launch off... she snuggled my neck and weirdly I felt love and that she might eat me. (In love)

Im trying to train her to “give me paw” with no success. Any
suggestions?

I definitely understand what everyone says here that the generation doesn’t matter. A Savannah is a Savannah. If anyone is reading this and are curious about the breed. Have tons of empty space and time and love and patience :coffee::coffee::giggle:

Attachments

Moggiesnewmom

Site Supporter
Both the SVs I live with have learned to do a few tricks with and without a clicker, including “give me a paw”... Initially for give me a paw, I would hold a treat between my fingertips and thumb and wouldn’t hand it over until they touched my hand with the paw. Then click and reward. After they had that figured out (like less than 10 sessions) I started holding the treat in the hand that wasn’t the hand I wanted them to touch. After some initial confusion and sometimes waving the treat in front of and behind the other hand, they figured out to touch my other hand that wasn’t holding the treat. But I think with that trick it is more the cue of me holding out my hand for a paw, than the verbal command they are responding to. But they do “sit” very well, jump through a hoop, over my outstretched arm and HB will touch his nose to a pencil where ever I hold it. They love clicker training, and when HB is bored (pretty much always no matter what) he will go bang on the clicker.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I’ve taught our boys tricks in a very similar way, so the method probably works for all cats as far as I can tell. Ninja and Bear both learned to sit, high five, and stand up for treats. I didn’t use a clicker, just finger snaps - which is almost the same sound. Zazu is a little over-enthusiastic with the high-fiving, so she learned ‘speak’ instead. The new kiddo picked up ‘sit’ right away from the other three.

It’s true, generation doesn’t matter - N&B are both half-breeds, but you’d never guess so by their behavior!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh my!
My babe Olive is keeping me so busy! Immediately after I got her I thought, “...sure I could handle a Serval/ F1 Savannah”

Wow, how wrong could I have been. Olive has brought unbelievable joie d’vie to our existence. And extreme stress because of her curiosity and athletic ability!

She is a parkor expert. She scaled a wall and entire window today form a launch off... she snuggled my neck and weirdly I felt love and that she might eat me. (In love)

Im trying to train her to “give me paw” with no success. Any
suggestions?

I definitely understand what everyone says here that the generation doesn’t matter. A Savannah is a Savannah. If anyone is reading this and are curious about the breed. Have tons of empty space and time and love and patience :coffee::coffee::giggle:
Olive likely will stay a teenager for life... my F1 Missy is 14 years old and still so active and mischievous and always ready for play. <3