Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

One Week

MiltonBerlesAndAnSV

Savannah Kitten
Hi Everyone!
I've been lurking the forums since I signed the adoption agreement for my savannah and the time is almost here for him to come home. This looks like a great group of folks, and I thank you for welcoming me to your group.
I used the term adoption agreement, as that is what the breeder called it, but he is a kitten, not a rescue. Anyhow he is an F3 almost 10 weeks old now and will be coming home the week after next. His latest picture is attached. We have not decided on a name yet, but are leaning towards Mister Reavis.
I have been thinking about welcoming a savannah to the family for the last couple of years, but finally pulled the trigger on it in December.
Mister Reavis will be joining Merl and Bill here (picture also attached.) Bill is an ornery character who may be described as "Savannah Lite." He enjoys destroying paper products and opening cabinets. I suspect he will get along quite well with Mr Reavis.
I have a quartine room set up for Mr. Reavis, but am really lost about how to split my time between the current cats and the new cat. I realize I need to be around so Mr Reavis will bond to his human, but also must be careful so as the other cats don't get jealous. Any Advice?
Thanks,
A

Attachments

• Adam M. - Boy #1 [2528685].jpg
    Adam M. - Boy #1 [2528685].jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 45
  • WP_20130202_001.jpg
    WP_20130202_001.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 43

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the addition of your new furkid. See first post here for info on introducing cats http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/introducing-a-new-cat-into-the-family.4746/

If you work, you should find time to play with the kitten before you leave and then visit every couple of hours to play or just sit and keep him company as frequently as you can in the evenings. Kittens typically eat - play - sleep so it's not necessary to spend hours and hours for a proper bonding to occur (although you'll want to spend hours and hours because the kitten is so darn cute). You might have to spend more time his first week home, especially at night, depending on how much the little one misses his mom and siblings.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Agree with what Deborah said...I am so glad you have asked about this to make sure your resident cats do not become jealous - that is also very important! You will see...you can play with your kitten, who is very handsome, btw, and he will get tired, eat and sleep...so then you spend time with Merl and Bill :)

We are here, so any issues or questions, feel free to ask! And congrats on your new boy!

MiltonBerlesAndAnSV

Savannah Kitten
Thank you all! Actually I work from home so I should be able to do the play eat nap routine with the little guy often. His room is one of the cat free guest rooms (it won't be for long though.) I thought this would help since it can really be his space. However it shares a jack and Jill bathroom with my office. I thought this might be a good way to get the existing residents used to the new resident by alternating who comes into the office. It can be space they are all used to (I have much feline assistance with my work currently) , and they can all get used to each other's smells, but they won't be in the room at the same time?
I have cleared everything out of the quarantine room except for a mattress and a dresser. I'll put his bowls and box in there as well. What I am not sure about is whether I should sleep in there with him, that's where I really worry about upsetting the locals, Merl will yell if he can't come to bed with me. Thanks again for welcoming me and your support.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
You MAY need to spend a night or 2 with the baby, But Only if he seems traumatized by being alone. THere are many threads here that address that.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
What I am not sure about is whether I should sleep in there with him, that's where I really worry about upsetting the locals, Merl will yell if he can't come to bed with me. Thanks again for welcoming me and your support.
The locals are probably going to be upset no matter what you do. That's why the quarantine period and the way the cats are introduced are so important. Even if they accept the kitten without much fuss after quarantine, the dynamics will change as the kitten matures. Using the office as a neutral zone is a good idea and will give all the cats the chance to smell and hear each other before they meet.

If the kitten cries at night, you can leave a radio on low for company (with a cord cover so kitten doesn't chew it and get electrocuted) if cries a lot. Good luck trying to resist sleeping with the wee one the first night or two. One look at that little face and you'll probably give Merl a lesson in sleeping alone:)

Remember to put a box or crate in the room with a blanket or cat bed he can snuggle into, somewhere the kitten can retreat to when he feels overwhelmed.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like you have a good set-up for quarantine and are approaching this the right way. Just be sure to spend dedicated time with each of your other cats - this is the best way to reassure them that they are still the center of your life. By the end of two weeks you should have a better sense of how easily you think they will accept the new kitten and can then proceed from there as to how you will begin the introductions.

MiltonBerlesAndAnSV

Savannah Kitten
Hi Guys,
I was hoping to be posting some pictures but unfortunately have bad news instead. Our new family member was supposed to be coming home today at long last. Yesterday I was informed by the breeder that Mister Reavis and some of his littermates had been attacked/injured by his mother. He is not expected to survive. I am just devastated. Does this kind of thing happen?
I was offered a refund or an F3 from a litter that was just born. Any advice?
:cry:
A