Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Oni: Bengal or Savannah?

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
I got Oni through SV Rescue last May. She was thought to be a Savannah at the time. We have almost no information on her--just a hand-written induction questionnaire from when she was surrendered. We just had these two photographs at the time:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399769219.304767.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399769231.369285.jpg

She was identified as a F7 Savannah. However, she looks very much like a Bengal to me. The more I get to know her and the more I learn about the breeds, I'm thinking she has a lot if Bengal in her, maybe all Bengal. Here's some of my reasons:

- Her spots are two-tone and look like the Bengal paw print spots

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399769271.120542.jpg

- Her conformation is much more like a Bengal, more stocky and not so lanky as many Savannahs

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399769611.987279.jpg

- her head is wide with prominent cheekbones

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399769741.953197.jpg

- and her coat may have a bit of the Bengal sparkle.

(See the spots picture above.)

Any thoughts? Any questions or additional pictures that would help? I know that without any pedigree it's impossible to know for sure.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The problem with this is that there are plenty of Savannahs out there showing their Bengal heritage. I do agree that even if Oni is an F7 Savannah that she shows a lot of Bengal heritage. I would think at the time we decided that as she was surrendered as Savannah at the shelter, and had larger ears than one would expect from a Bengal...that there was enough possibility for us to go ahead and adopt her out.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
I don't care--she is just the sweetest, smartest, most talkative and opinionated cat I've ever had, and I love her dearly.

However, I am curious. Thanks for the info.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Unfortunately there's no DNA test to help us out here... mostly when we get contacted about a cat in a shelter if the cat looks more Bengal than Savannah we do question it. I think the owner had other Savannahs too and was definite on the breed, although my email archives says she was said to be an F6.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Oni may have a lot of Bengal blood in her (many of the early Savannahs did) I still see Savannah in her face, so I believe that SV Rescue was correct in calling her a Savannah.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Ok, so it appears I have two Savannahs, both with Bengal blood. Ziggy's grandmother, who was bred to a Serval, was a Bengal.

Thanks!

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Absolutely! And we are lucky to have them--thanks to SV Rescue!

Love them both. And Jax, our DMH mongrel.

Can't wait until we're sleeping with three cats! I'm often sleeping part of the night with Ziggy, until Oni starts crying for me, then switching bedrooms...if this lasts much longer I'm going to be in real trouble with Carolyn!