Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ouch!

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
So, Schrödinger and I discovered how much he fears... Possibly hates dogs today. He and I were hanging out in the living room and one of the dogs snuck in the house past my mum. Needless to say I have some pretty nasty scratches to show for his experience. So, I have 2 questions. How do you go about trimming an SVs nails? (He loves his paws/feet pads to be played with) I'm afraid of doing it wrong/hurting him :(

Second question: How do I go about introducing Schrödinger to the dogs without a repeat of today?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I use a (human) baby nail clipper to clip my cats' nails. I start by just taking off the tip then gradually work to shorten them each session. It is pretty easy to see the quick, just don't cut into that and he should be fine.

As for introducing him to the dogs, today may have caused a setback but I would start with the calmest dog. After putting Schrödinger up on something high (e.g., cat tree, shelf) bring the dog in on a leash and make him lie down in the middle of the room. I would not attempt to bring him closer to Schrödinger or Schrödinger closer to him, just monitor his reaction. If Schrödinger gets too stressed out remove the dog.
Alternatively, if you have a doggie crate you can bring the dog in and crate him while giving Schrödinger free reign of the room. Start with brief sessions (just a few minutes at a time) and gradually increase them. As Schrödinger gets used to the dogs' presence he will probably decide to check them out a bit closer - usually starting at the rear end. And not knowing what kind of dogs you have I will comment that most cats think dog tails are great wand toys, so he may not be able to resist after awhile... ;)

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
the only dog with a tail would be the 13 y/o border collie/cocker spaniel mix. Though he's probably also the calmest of the dogs too. The other 2 are a 10 y/o schnauzer female and a 3 y/o schnauzer female (this is the one that caused today's issue)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think Patti's suggestions are great!

It is important to make sure that the kitten knows it has escape routes... and high places they can perch and observe until they decide they might want to check the dog out more closely :)

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Regarding trimming the nails....I use regular cat nail trimmers from Petco. As Patti states, the secret is to just clip off the very tip initially and not get anywhere near the quick. I started doing them every 3 - 4 weeks and now I trim them every 2 weeks. She actually prefers her claws to be short and starts chewing on them like crazy if I go longer than 14 days. Nail trimming time is also cuddle time. If she gets antsy, I stop for a bit and pet and kiss and cuddle her. Even with the cuddle interruptions, it takes me less than 5 minutes for all 4 paws. Immediately afterwards, she gets her favorite cat treat, freeze dried chicken (AKA kitty crack). I also constantly touch and play with her paws daily so she is not adverse to having them touched.

Rafiki appears to love dogs or anything that she thinks might be play-worthy so I can't help you there.

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
Mango gets clipped weekly. I use standard old pet Co clippers. She purrs rigjt through it for me. Even the one time I got her quick. I didn't even know I had!

But with my husband she thrashes, scratches and bites. Maybe a savannah thing?

Find her zen person ☺

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Regarding trimming the nails....I use regular cat nail trimmers from Petco.
Quick flashback here - if you happen to be traveling and cannot carry on a bottle opener I discovered that pet nail trimmers do a great job doubling as a (beer) bottle opener, and you can carry them on planes! :up:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Haven't figured that one out yet, which is a shame since I much prefer wine to beer. I have taken a hotel knife and attacked the cork, but that leaves for a gritty beverage in the end... :rolleyes: