Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Owning a Savannah

il Gatopardo

Savannah Super Cat
So you want one - good. Maybe.
I decided to write this because I hate the thought of seeing a cat up for adoption because the new owner could not handle their new buddy. These cats are like no other, at least mine is, I have had many cats before and I know. I have a domestic as well now. The difference is noticeable.
I speak as the owner( I hate that term, more like friend, caretaker would be better) of a high percentage savannah - F2. He's close to 30% serval as his father was a savannah.
And I can only speak from my personal experience with Henry. I am not an expert in any way. But as I said I do know cats.
This is not a cat. Not in the everyday way you may know. Not at all.
Henry is big, very big, and that is something to consider. He's also so strong the vet will not do certain things like take a blood test without putting him under. They cannot hold him still. I've tried, no go.
Your savannah will most likely get into everything, closets, drawers, cabinets etc. I have child locks on everything. Too many times I have come home to find the freezer door wide open and everything inside thawed. Everything and I mean everything is a toy or something to be investigated. These cats do not sleep all day, they are constantly on the move exploring and getting to everything.
They can scare people. I have had visitors ask that I put Henry in another room because he can give a look that will chill your spine. Try staring at a leopard or tiger at the zoo. You will get the idea. Do not leave them alone for long periods, It's unfair to them and as an owner your responsibility to be there for them. And if you do you will come to a wrecked environment. Do not on the other hand treat them like some wild animal to leave outside in a cage etc. They are very social and this would be cruel.
These are some things to consider but not all. I love my savannah more than anything and will, and do, gladly put up with it all. A savannah will bond to you like no other cat and I consider it a very special priviledge to be Henry's buddy. He gives me headbutts so hard I think he will break my nose when I come home. He follows me everywhere, every room I go into. He sleeps with me all night, every night. I am his world and he is mine. Sounds a bit over the top but it's true for me. And for all his wildness, sometimes scaryness, he has never ever scratched or bitten me or anyone. I used to take him to work with me and while he did not always like it, he put up with people coming to see and pet him. He's a good boy. It's true what say, they do indeed bond with one person. And one person only.
But that bond is extraordinary.

Trish Allearz

What?

No one is scared of my cats.

I can leave my cats and they do not destroy my home.

They are cats. gorgeous, funny, intelligent cats. Not a wild animal.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TapataI can leavelk 2

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We just left ours with a pet sitter for two weeks. House was not too trashed. Missy had dragged all blankets about the house and there was mess but our petsitter is a male so doesn't so much "clean"...he did however sit and watch tv with them and read books so they could cuddle with him...

I do agree that some get a Savannah without properly considering their energy levels. Just like many get the wrong dog breed for their household. My personal wish is that people were better at considering the needs and wishes of their existing pets before adding another... as often the problem arises when they haven't considered that their 15 year old Persian might not like being used as a wrestling partner by an exuberant kitten...

cbain

Site Supporter
I am not a member of Savannah rescue staff but I looked into them and after seeing their FB site and what they do my donation would be money well spent for the Savannah cat breed and I know some of you know I support rescue but that is not what this post is about, can anyone here at chat help this savannah ? http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pet/4265406591.html the SORRY owner declawed all 4 feet , My F3 MALE would be a nightmare on a declawed rehome savannah male, we here all love Savannah cats so lets give spots a good carpet home for a spottie cat. SV .RESCUE is not involved in this post.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I am not a member of Savannah rescue staff but I looked into them and after seeing their FB site and what they do my donation would be money well spent for the Savannah cat breed and I know some of you know I support rescue but that is not what this post is about, can anyone here at chat help this savannah ? http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pet/4265406591.html the SORRY owner declawed all 4 feet , My F3 MALE would be a nightmare on a declawed rehome savannah male, we here all love Savannah cats so lets give spots a good carpet home for a spottie cat. SV .RESCUE is not involved in this post.

The poor baby... I hope they find a good home. BTW, if any of you see a cat on FB or Craigslist needing rehome, it is perfectly okay to respond to them and just nicely suggest that they contact us (Savannah Rescue) to find a home for their cat. In many cases, they may be trying to resell the cat so won't want our help, but in this case it is possible that the $200 is not a price more knowing that a free cat is expendable. We suggest to anyone rehoming that they charge "something" even if it is a donation to Rescue. In any case, giving our email addy info@svrescue.com can't hurt. We can't monitor ALL craigslists all over the place so if you see anything and think they might need our help, feel free to tell them! Or tell them about http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/savannahcatsavailable/info which is a good resource for people wishing to rehome their Savannah pet...

Lesley

Site Supporter
I would love to help. However, we have a house with open rafters and our babies need their claws to stay safe. However, if someone can't help I am available as an emergency option.

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
@Patti Agreed! My avatar is my cat in my lap. She is an F2 and would gladly spend all day on my lap if she could. Of course she is still a kitten so maybe that will change but I only find her wanting to spend more time in my lap as time passes :)