Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Paw sensitivity- litter recommendations

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Hello guys,

So as I've mentioned before Loki occasionally pees outside of the litterbox. Lately he has been doing this more often. He is quite smart and will talk to me when he has to go and will run up to the litter box and run back to me. Chirping and chattering all along the way. He of course if very picky of his boxes. They must be prestine. But even when they are perfectly clean he has hesitation to use them. He also lifts his one paw up when he poops so that it doesn't touch the litter. And he pees over the edge of his box while balancing on the rim. This leads me to believe he has paw sensitivity. His one paw is missing a toe. (The woman I had gotten him from raises wolf dogs and he ran ontop of the cage as a kitten and the dog bit off his toe). Anyways I am trying to think of a solution to his paw sensitivity. Any ideas of what kind of litter may feel better on the paws? we initially used feline pine which he didn't like. I switched him to a fine clumping litter. The problem wasn't as bad. I think he doesn't like walking in any clumps becuase it is rough on his paws. Isn't tree anything softer than that? What experiences or advice do you have for cats with paw sensitivity?

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Cat Attract litter is made of a super-soft fine clay...it's probably the easiest on paws.

Your non-litter alternatives would be to try paper towels in the bottom of the litterbox or shredded newspaper or something. Not as great for odor, but if it keeps him using the box...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh I forgot, have you ever had that paw xrayed to make sure that that toe injury is just a missing toe, and there weren't any fragments from that damage in the cage incident?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
The breeder I got him from had it xrayed. I have a copy of it as well. no problems with it when he was younger. Looked like it healed up just fine. He doesn't even have a knuckle there it was bitten clean off. When he has his "accidents" he does seem to favor newspaper and fabric. I wonder if I could just teach him to use a puppy pad? We already clean his litterboxes almost immediately after he uses them. Or as close to it as we can. I was wondering if cat attract would work. I was thinking about it. I bet I could solve some problems just trying to potty train him. And wait critter litter. Do you think that might work?!?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think you could try puppy pads in a litterbox, I know someone that does that for her cat. Or try the Cat Attract to see if he likes that texture...

Toilet training can create issues, not sure if it will help to do that when he's not 100% now...maybe something for the future...

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
That's what I thought. He may just end up getting worse. Ok I'll try that out. I actually have some puppy pads lying around from the bunnies. It's worth a shot. Thanks. I'll be sure you update you! And I don't know where to get the cat attract litter around here. I'll just try pup pads and order some of the cat attract online. Pooty would probably be angry if I switched all the boxes id like to find a solution that works for both of the boys

Rafiki

Site Supporter
When my Himy got very old and could no longer climb into a litter box I was able to switch her quite easily to the puppy pee pads. All it took was placing them around the litter box and she got the idea.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I presume they were one time use right? I'm wondering how many I should leave out

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'd put them in litterboxes if wanting my cat to use them, so that the concept of using a "box" is still there. I'd worry otherwise you'd end up with them mistaking things like newspapers or magazines lying on the ground?

Other cats will likely like the Cat Attract litter, it's pretty universal being a clay-type litter... but yes, other cats may not wish to use puppy pee pads instead of litter so you should offer both!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I'd put them in litterboxes if wanting my cat to use them, so that the concept of using a "box" is still there. I'd worry otherwise you'd end up with them mistaking things like newspapers or magazines lying on the ground?

Other cats will likely like the Cat Attract litter, it's pretty universal being a clay-type litter... but yes, other cats may not wish to use puppy pee pads instead of litter so you should offer both!
Yes, had my cat still been able to climb into the box, I would have placed them there. At the time, we were using a tray with a 2" rim (that she still could not negotiate) so I left the litter in the tray and placed the wee pads around it.